Beveling Complex Object

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Beveling Complex Object

Post by Frank1000 » 01 Jan 2013, 16:46

Hi, I’m trying to get a neat and regular bevel around a complex objects edges. So far I didn’t find a suitable way and I have created 2 simplified test objects and manually constructed a gap between them that exactly shapes the perimeters of the bevel I want to fill in there, and where those edges have the same amount of points so the edges match.

Image

Now when I use Blend, I was hoping to get the possibility to define the smoothness of the bevel, but yet I see it does not connect the points in the right order:

Image

Pls share if you have ideas / concepts on how beveling on a complex object can be done precisely and where I probably can define the profile of the bevel. I’m sure it’s very possible with ICE, but I’m light years away from being able to handle the ICE engine that way.

Regards,
Frank

PrvtHudson
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Oct 2012, 16:14
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by PrvtHudson » 01 Jan 2013, 17:38

I haven't used it but there is a bevel shader. mia_roundcorners

http://download.autodesk.com/global/doc ... d30e712032

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Frank1000 » 01 Jan 2013, 19:34

Hi & thx for reply.
the mia_roundcorner is an interesting shader, though in my case i have here right now I actually need the resulting model for physical 3D-printing / CNC drilling. So need to get the bevels modeled.

Regards,
Frank

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Bullit » 01 Jan 2013, 19:49

You could try:

1-merge without making new polygons
2-select edges and bridge edges
3-add with smooth edge loop tool(snapped to midpoint) to new polygon created by bridge edges.
move this first edge to better position if necessary, add more to new formed edge midpoint.

Another alternative is to extend both surfaces until when you merge you get a 90º angle and then give bevel.

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Frank1000 » 01 Jan 2013, 20:33

Hi Bullit,
thx for sharing. I still havethe problem that the order of connecting the points is not as meant to be, it creates cross connections where they should not be.
also I didnt see a "without creating polys" option in create/polymesh/merge ...

Frank

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Frank1000 » 01 Jan 2013, 22:01

Question, how would one bevel a cube so all corners become rounded (sphere-part shaped) ?

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Bullit » 02 Jan 2013, 01:06

also I didnt see a "without creating polys" option in create/polymesh/merge ...
With range/distance(don't remember correct word) 0(zero) there is no new polys when you merge two objects.

Do you to turn a cube into a sphere? i think only with bevels+increasing subDs

User avatar
csaez
Posts: 253
Joined: 09 Jul 2012, 13:31
Skype: csaezmargotta
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by csaez » 02 Jan 2013, 01:20

Bullit wrote:
also I didnt see a "without creating polys" option in create/polymesh/merge ...
With range/distance(don't remember correct word) 0(zero) there is no new polys when you merge two objects.
Or just uncheck the blend parameter :)

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Frank1000 » 02 Jan 2013, 01:22

k, did it but yet the order of connecting remains not to be as expected / desired. Also it wouldn't offer to load a profile for the smoothness.

Image

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Frank1000 » 02 Jan 2013, 01:25

for the cube edges, beveling a 3 way corner should form something like a 1/8th of a shere I think ... is there a function ? I beveled a whole cube at once, but then no bevel appears. With subdividing, that makes a ball out of a cube, but not a cube with smooth edges.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by rray » 02 Jan 2013, 01:27

You could try the grow option there. You have to select 2 edges first (2 matching edges on opposite sides). Then Check "grow" and set the distance slider high. If it's too many new polygons, just delete them
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Bullit » 02 Jan 2013, 01:53

Sometimes in this kind of software we must sometimes give it some guidance: a direct bridge edge of just one extreme and all others might fall in place with a another bridge this time a broad one. If not, bridge in the other side another edge and give broad one for the edges between them.

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Frank1000 » 02 Jan 2013, 14:21

hmp ... that one i didn't get

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Bullit » 03 Jan 2013, 00:55

Didn't you understand what i said?

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Frank1000 » 03 Jan 2013, 02:14

ya, I was wondering about what you meant with the direct bridge edge of one extreme, and with a broad bridge.

thx,
Frank

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Beveling Complex Object

Post by Bullit » 03 Jan 2013, 02:35

Ok, another way to explain. Select two edges that you think should be connected and bridge them. This is to give the program an idea of what edges should be connect to. After that relation is established then select the remaining edges and bridge them too.
Last edited by Bullit on 03 Jan 2013, 02:39, edited 1 time in total.