http://www.cadcim.com/ProductDetails.as ... 36646-10-4
A new book for Softimage
-
gdebello
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 13:39
- Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: A new book for Softimage
I got this book a while back thinking it would be very similar to the Maya books that came with Maya 8.5. This is actually a very basic book that explains Softimage to someone who has never touched a 3D program or has very limited knowledge of it.
If you spent at least a week with Softimage and used the Help files you can learn either the same or more. It only goes over the basics of Softimage. It does describe the basics of everything associated with Softimage, which can be helpful for someone just getting into 3D or the program.
Just my opinion of the book.
Glen
If you spent at least a week with Softimage and used the Help files you can learn either the same or more. It only goes over the basics of Softimage. It does describe the basics of everything associated with Softimage, which can be helpful for someone just getting into 3D or the program.
Just my opinion of the book.
Glen
I use Softimage for game development. Is there really anything else?
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: A new book for Softimage
Don't know nothing about this book (also don't know the Maya book released), but a Softimage book is a so rare event... cannot ignore 
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: A new book for Softimage
Yes indeed, glad to see this! I guess I'm old, I prefer books over electronic stuff. I look at a screen when I'm working so it's nice to look at a book for a change. Wish there were some more, including advanced ones.
This looks like it's designed to help school instructors so that's good.
This looks like it's designed to help school instructors so that's good.
-
gdebello
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 13:39
- Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: A new book for Softimage
I wish there were more books about Softimage than videos at times but it is cheaper to make a video versus publishing a book.
Here is the link to the schools program. The Software list has not been updated in a while. They still list Alias/Wavefront as software they used. I don't know if they still have it but they did have a PhD program.
University of Purdue - Computer Graphics Technology
Glen
Here is the link to the schools program. The Software list has not been updated in a while. They still list Alias/Wavefront as software they used. I don't know if they still have it but they did have a PhD program.
University of Purdue - Computer Graphics Technology
Glen
I use Softimage for game development. Is there really anything else?
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: A new book for Softimage
I most definitely will be requesting a faculty copy of this when the new year begins. Its very frustrating as an educator that there are loads of up to date intro Maya books available and pretty much zero as far as Softimage is concerned.
Most of our students come to us with little or no knowledge of 3d programs, just a overriding love of animation. So something that would help them grasp the basics is always welcome. Before we switched to Softimage from Maya we got a lot of use out of the book that came with the software. They were very good for beginner students. Soft really needs incorporate something like that. Even if its like pdf / ebook format. While the inbuilt help is very good anyone who has taught 3D knows that trying to get students to use it is an uphill battle.
Attention to those kind of details to me its part of the 5% or so that Softimage still needs to go in order for it to be more accessible to the mainstream.
Most of our students come to us with little or no knowledge of 3d programs, just a overriding love of animation. So something that would help them grasp the basics is always welcome. Before we switched to Softimage from Maya we got a lot of use out of the book that came with the software. They were very good for beginner students. Soft really needs incorporate something like that. Even if its like pdf / ebook format. While the inbuilt help is very good anyone who has taught 3D knows that trying to get students to use it is an uphill battle.
Attention to those kind of details to me its part of the 5% or so that Softimage still needs to go in order for it to be more accessible to the mainstream.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
gdebello
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 13:39
- Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: A new book for Softimage
The book is great for Students. I got it because it was the only Softimage book I could find. It does give a very tutorial approach to everything. All the menus, buttons etc that are talked about in the steps are all in bold. When creating clouds it does go through it step by step but does not tell you why you are doing it. It just says 'Select this button' now 'Select this other button' etc.
My biggest complaint about student books, this one included, is the photos are black and white. So when the instructor talks about selecting an edge it is hard to see what edge he is selecting. Just an example.
Great book for new students. They also have downloadable content for instructors and scenes for students.
Glen
My biggest complaint about student books, this one included, is the photos are black and white. So when the instructor talks about selecting an edge it is hard to see what edge he is selecting. Just an example.
Great book for new students. They also have downloadable content for instructors and scenes for students.
Glen
I use Softimage for game development. Is there really anything else?
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com
-
talent103
- Posts: 183
- Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 14:47
- Location: New York City
Re: A new book for Softimage
It is out of print now but a great book that included Softimage and was pretty advanced and good was.
http://www.amazon.com/mental-ray-Maya-3 ... 0470008547
He was a professor at my Masters program at NYU where I went.
http://www.amazon.com/mental-ray-Maya-3 ... 0470008547
He was a professor at my Masters program at NYU where I went.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: A new book for Softimage
That is a good one. Highly recommend it for anyone trying to use MR, beginner or advanced. Best book I ever bought.
-
PrvtHudson
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 13 Oct 2012, 16:14
- Location: Ottawa, Canada
Re: A new book for Softimage
I can recommend that MR book from a beginners point of view as well. Every time I hit a wall, I pick it up again.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: A new book for Softimage
Apparently O'Reilly still sells an ebook version...talent103 wrote:It is out of print now
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780470008546.do
(But it seems a steep price for an ebook -
although the reseller prices at the Amazon link seem even more ridiculous!)
This one
3D Lighting and Rendering: A Professional Approach to Learning 3ds Max, Maya and XSI by Johal Gow
might turn out to be interesting as well. But we'll have to wait about six months for it to be published...
(I wonder if they find out the product isn't called XSI anymore by then...)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
gdebello
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 13:39
- Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: A new book for Softimage
The lighting book by Johal Gow will be interesting to see. His 3D Automotive Modeling book talks about Softimage on his webpage but I can only find Maya and 3DS Max in the books previews. On his webpage he also describes Softimage XSI.
http://www.johalgowcg.com/#/features/
Preview of the 3D Automotive Modeling book Link
Glen
http://www.johalgowcg.com/#/features/
Preview of the 3D Automotive Modeling book Link
Glen
I use Softimage for game development. Is there really anything else?
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: A new book for Softimage
Book Update covering 2014 is now available on amazon and CADCIM website
http://www.amazon.com/Autodesk-Softimag ... 1936646560
http://www.cadcim.com/animationbooks.as ... =Softimage
http://www.amazon.com/Autodesk-Softimag ... 1936646560
http://www.cadcim.com/animationbooks.as ... =Softimage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif