constrain strand to curve

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
manuelriedl
Posts: 9
Joined: 13 Mar 2012, 14:15
Skype: manuel.riedl
Location: Vienna

constrain strand to curve

Post by manuelriedl » 23 Dec 2012, 15:45

Hi,
is it possible to have Strands try to stay close to a curve?
I'm trying to achieve a light-streak effect where particles are being emitted on a location and then follow a curve over an object. The emitter is moving with and on the geometry.
My problem is, that - as the emitter moves - the strands keep sticking to the emitter's trajectory. That creates the unwanted effect that the streak gets thicker. What I'm going for is a band-like appearance of light that i can vary in length and shape.

I hope, that's as clear as possible. If not, don't hesitate to ask for more!
I've attached 2 images that should help to understand my problem.


Thank you in advance
-Manuel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grahamef
Posts: 281
Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 19:01

Re: constrain strand to curve

Post by grahamef » 08 Jan 2013, 17:49

manuelriedl wrote: I hope, that's as clear as possible. If not, don't hesitate to ask for more!
I think more info would be good. I'm having a really hard time visualizing your setup, your problem, and the final effect you want.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: constrain strand to curve

Post by Bullit » 08 Jan 2013, 20:33

It seems he want to do a wind tunnel effect. The object seems to be a car.

face
Posts: 57
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:28

Re: constrain strand to curve

Post by face » 09 Jan 2013, 12:00

Have played a little bit and i think this is what he want to do.
Hope it helps...

face


Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: constrain strand to curve

Post by Bullit » 09 Jan 2013, 17:23

Maybe waiting for his reply is better, but if it is a wind tunnel effect the sides need also to be accounted for. Just a mirror poping defeats a strand...

Edit:Disregard that, he wants to follow a curve.

User avatar
TwinSnakes007
Posts: 316
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00

Re: constrain strand to curve

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 09 Jan 2013, 21:29

I mocked something up for this effect last night and it was pretty simple and you only need a couple nodes to do it.

Maybe the OP didnt wire up his nodes in the right order or something.