single instanced mesh and different materials ?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
seb4d
Posts: 21
Joined: 22 Oct 2012, 10:37

single instanced mesh and different materials ?

Post by seb4d » 17 Dec 2012, 10:42

Hi all !
New question from a beginner.

I'm still working a my scene where I have a pointcloud instancing 20 objects randomly.
I'm trying to optimize the scene. Actually the 20 objects are exactly the same, they just have different materials.
So I was thinking if there is a way to instanciate only one single object, and then randomize the material for each particle ?

madsen
Posts: 10
Joined: 12 Jul 2010, 12:12

Re: single instanced mesh and different materials ?

Post by madsen » 17 Dec 2012, 11:20

While the tutorials discuss how to use different textures for particle sprites, you can use the same procedure to change the materials on your instances.
http://caffeineabuse.blogspot.se/2011/1 ... g-ice.html
Senior 3D Artist | Softimage Certified Instructor | http://www.olamadsen.se

seb4d
Posts: 21
Joined: 22 Oct 2012, 10:37

Re: single instanced mesh and different materials ?

Post by seb4d » 17 Dec 2012, 12:10

8-} I am so stupid... I knew this technique but was obsessed doing it with ICE materials ! aarrrhhh

Thanks so much for your help