Merging Curves ?

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Falam

Merging Curves ?

Post by Falam » 13 Dec 2012, 14:27

I'm looking for a merging curve tool script/compound as the merge tool in Softimage won't merge curves. The one posted below, the video doesn't work I can't see if it's what I'm after.

http://frenchdog.wordpress.com/2008/09/ ... n-the-end/

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: Merging Curves ?

Post by Kerro Perro » 13 Dec 2012, 15:02


Falam

Re: Merging Curves ?

Post by Falam » 14 Dec 2012, 03:08

(-| :ymapplause:

I have keyvis curve tools installed, I've tried all of the merge tools within curve tools to merge two curves together, and it's not working. I've selecting two curve end points, I've selected two curves, it doesn't work. I did Google it =;

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: Merging Curves ?

Post by Kerro Perro » 14 Dec 2012, 03:28

1 your question - again - wasnt clear, you specifically asked for a different tool that would "merge" curves.

2 these do. Select two curves > attach curves > done

3 im rude to you because i think you spam this forum every time you encounter the slightest difficulty. The first page of the modelling section is nearly all posts by you. And you are always really vague as well so answering you is always a hassle as well.

Falam

Re: Merging Curves ?

Post by Falam » 14 Dec 2012, 04:03

Kerro Perro wrote:1 your question - again - wasnt clear, you specifically asked for a different tool that would "merge" curves.

2 these do. Select two curves > attach curves > done

3 im rude to you because i think you spam this forum every time you encounter the slightest difficulty. The first page of the modelling section is nearly all posts by you. And you are always really vague as well so answering you is always a hassle as well.
I was clear, I asked for a tool that would merge curves, how wasn't it clear ? If I explain myself, it's not clear, if I write an essay it's not clear, I swear I'm the one being ostracized whenever I ask a question, no need on the rules of how to ask a question, I know them. If I'm not clear enough, and you are willing to help, just say "I don't understand" if your going to be rude about it, well then your going to put the other party on the defense, regardless online or offline, if it's a hassle then don't reply. I don't know what you want me to be, phony, change who I am. The forum is there to ask questions, regardless if I figure them out :10 minutes later or not. :-??

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: Merging Curves ?

Post by Kerro Perro » 14 Dec 2012, 14:04

Ok you're right about one thing: being rude doesn't help. It's funny but it doesn't help :P

So i'll try to explain this the best i can and hope it sinks in so your life on this and other fora will be a little easier:

It's not about being phony or not - it's about effort. It takes time and effort for people to read your question, figure out what you want, look it up in most cases as nobody's memory is perfect and then post it back to you in a way that is clear to understand. If they then find out that you could've done that yourself they get annoyed because you just wasted their time.
Falam wrote:The forum is there to ask questions, regardless if I figure them out :10 minutes later or not.
Are you serious about that?! That is the whole point: yes it is here to ask questions but not just for you to spam it with every little thing you find difficult.
It makes people think - rightly in your case - that you want them to do the work for you. Work you by your own admission you could've done by yourself!
And by your tone it even seems that you find it completely normal that everyone runs around all day for you as well...
I mean seriously take a look at that first page of the modelling section: do you really think it's ok that it's nearly all simple questions by you? Really?
Falam wrote:I swear I'm the one being ostracized whenever I ask a question,
Doesn't that tell you something? Frankly i'm amazed at how patient and nice the guys on here are that they still take the time to answer some of your questions. I can tell you for sure that if you spammed like this on fora like ConceptArt you would've been banned by now. It's just that - normally - SI guys are really nice. Just think about why these really nice guys are starting to ignore you.

This topic is a perfect example: You post the question "I'm looking for a merging curve tool script/compound" and post a link to an old blog entry. So the only possible response is to point to a plugin that merges curves no? But no turns out that's not really the question you were asking, the question you actually were asking was: "hey i have curve tools but i haven't taken time to figure out how to use it" Now how in God's name is anyone supposed to get that from your op?

Frankly this and other topics need never have been posted as by your own admission you could've figured it out yourself in 10 mins ( i just can't believe you don't see how annoying that is...) but suppose you really got stuck (and that means trying and googling for a couple of hours at the very least) this is how you ask a question: Hey guys i want to do x (explain clearly, with pics if needed - you do do that usually) i have tried plugin/compound/script/method x,y and z but am stuck at this step:... Then people will know that you genuinely tried everything you could before asking for help.

I hope you appreciate me taking the time to explain this to you and that you take it on board. I don't post this to flame or battle or any other nonsense like that. If i thought you were a troll i wouldn't be responding to you, i just think a you're a guy who is really excited about 3D and way too eager to get results fast. Just ease up a little ;)

Falam

Re: Merging Curves ?

Post by Falam » 14 Dec 2012, 14:35

Kerro Perro wrote:Ok you're right about one thing: being rude doesn't help. It's funny but it doesn't help :P

So i'll try to explain this the best i can and hope it sinks in so your life on this and other fora will be a little easier:

It's not about being phony or not - it's about effort. It takes time and effort for people to read your question, figure out what you want, look it up in most cases as nobody's memory is perfect and then post it back to you in a way that is clear to understand. If they then find out that you could've done that yourself they get annoyed because you just wasted their time.
Falam wrote:The forum is there to ask questions, regardless if I figure them out :10 minutes later or not.
Are you serious about that?! That is the whole point: yes it is here to ask questions but not just for you to spam it with every little thing you find difficult.
It makes people think - rightly in your case - that you want them to do the work for you. Work you by your own admission you could've done by yourself!
And by your tone it even seems that you find it completely normal that everyone runs around all day for you as well...
I mean seriously take a look at that first page of the modelling section: do you really think it's ok that it's nearly all simple questions by you? Really?
Falam wrote:I swear I'm the one being ostracized whenever I ask a question,
Doesn't that tell you something? Frankly i'm amazed at how patient and nice the guys on here are that they still take the time to answer some of your questions. I can tell you for sure that if you spammed like this on fora like ConceptArt you would've been banned by now. It's just that - normally - SI guys are really nice. Just think about why these really nice guys are starting to ignore you.

This topic is a perfect example: You post the question "I'm looking for a merging curve tool script/compound" and post a link to an old blog entry. So the only possible response is to point to a plugin that merges curves no? But no turns out that's not really the question you were asking, the question you actually were asking was: "hey i have curve tools but i haven't taken time to figure out how to use it" Now how in God's name is anyone supposed to get that from your op?

Frankly this and other topics need never have been posted as by your own admission you could've figured it out yourself in 10 mins ( i just can't believe you don't see how annoying that is...) but suppose you really got stuck (and that means trying and googling for a couple of hours at the very least) this is how you ask a question: Hey guys i want to do x (explain clearly, with pics if needed - you do do that usually) i have tried plugin/compound/script/method x,y and z but am stuck at this step:... Then people will know that you genuinely tried everything you could before asking for help.

I hope you appreciate me taking the time to explain this to you and that you take it on board. I don't post this to flame or battle or any other nonsense like that. If i thought you were a troll i wouldn't be responding to you, i just think a you're a guy who is really excited about 3D and way too eager to get results fast. Just ease up a little ;)
How are all my questions in the modeling section, simple questions ? One of my questions is how do I model in a complex shape into a object without getting a tangled mess of triangles and n-gons, which is what booleans do, how is that a simple question ? I could model it by hand but some shapes are awkward to say the least to achieve the goal, therefore I ask the question.

The next question in the modeling section was "how to fillet" a curve, I realized after, the only solution was to fillet with NURBS then convert to polygons, let bygons be bygons, instead of harping over or it or better yet, holding a grudge, as it seems you are doing over my posts.

Another question was about evenly placing edge loops, there was a reply, and my question was clean but the reply, I dunno, even when my question is clear the other party plays fiddles, you can't be turning the table around on me when the other party is following is doing the game, how do you get anywhere, really how do you ? To conclude this paragraph another question was started by another user on booleans, it falls on the same category as my thread, therefore I started my own thread on the subject as mentioned.

I didn't mention I had curve tools, had you put your reply out their differently, I would have, instead you attack, if you are going to jump on someones back because they miss a few details on the first pass, what does that say about your character, sure some people may like that, although I don't know why, there are people would would call you a jerk maybe to your face or behind your back. If a few details are missed, I've seen this on other forums, they ask " I don't understand " or " could you rephrase it " it's that simple and more polite.

When you attack or add insult to injury and do vague replies yourself, how does that help ? You can't be doing vague replies and thinking you are better then me in front of the monitor because you do it back, do you understand ? The other person may not be doing it on purpose, then you are doing it to "teach a lesson", "well if he/she can't give me a straight question, then I'm going to do the same back" real mature. I work with the public on a day to day basis, I've meet so many character traits and flaws in characters and plain out stupidity. If you think you read a little missed detail here is bad, or a little trolling there is bad, you have no idea the type of people out there when you are behind a monitor.

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: Merging Curves ?

Post by Kerro Perro » 14 Dec 2012, 14:56

Well dude i tried help you out in my last post, but you just don't seem to get it.
As i said it's all about time and effort and i'm not gonna waste any more on you.
Good luck to ya!

Falam

Re: Merging Curves ?

Post by Falam » 14 Dec 2012, 15:49

Kerro Perro wrote:Well dude i tried help you out in my last post, but you just don't seem to get it.
As i said it's all about time and effort and i'm not gonna waste any more on you.
Good luck to ya!
I get it, you wanted me to see it your way or the highway.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Merging Curves ?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Dec 2012, 15:51

@Kerro Perro - You're coming on VERY strong. Please don't go telling people, for instance, they would be banned elsewhere. It's not your decision who gets banned and what constitutes spam here! Such remarks generally do not help. Your frustration is clear, try to express it in a slightly more neutral manner or like you said, just ignore the OP.

@Falam - Some of your responses in this thread aren't helpful either!!!

Thread closed...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!