Creating compounds for textures not working properly

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Creating compounds for textures not working properly

Post by Pancho » 05 Dec 2012, 08:14

You can't name them. If I go the standard ice editor way and name my compound the name doesn't show up. It always says "shaderCompound". Compared to the ice compounds and nodes, the texture editor definitely needs some love. Feels like there hasn't been spend any time to update the functionality and looks for ages.

Cheers

P.S.: In case I'm doing anything wrong, please tell me what.

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Creating compounds for textures not working properly

Post by xsisupport » 05 Dec 2012, 11:51

I feel stupid for asking, but can you provide some repro steps?
I don't understand: texture editor...ice compounds...shaderCompound???
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

grahamef
Posts: 281
Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 19:01

Re: Creating compounds for textures not working properly

Post by grahamef » 05 Dec 2012, 16:19

Remember that shaders can be renamed individually. In fact all shaders (not just compounds) have two names: a class name (basically the type) and an individual name (which refers to just that one specific instance in a tree).

When you edit the compound properties, you change the type name but the individual name is still the default "ShaderCompound". You can change the individual name in the same way as for any other shader: just open its property editor and change the Name.

Alternatively export the shader compound and drag a new instance into the tree. The default name for new instances is the type name, just like any other shader.

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Creating compounds for textures not working properly

Post by Pancho » 05 Dec 2012, 16:42

I just realized that if you double klick on the compound there is also the chance to alter the name. This way it works. But if I name the compound like in ICE, it doesn't update the name. Even not on a reload. But the naming of the in- and outputs isn't working properly. I rename it inside of the compund, but on the outside it doesn't get updated.

The whole thing feels like a beta phase compared to the ease of ICE. Also the math compounds. E.g., why isn't there the same rescale node like in ICE? Why is it called Scalar Change range? Makes everything a bit wired.

I guess it needs some updating ...