Complex Object to UV - Suggestions or I'm Screwed ?

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
Falam

Complex Object to UV - Suggestions or I'm Screwed ?

Post by Falam » 24 Nov 2012, 00:27

I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on UV this object that I am working on. This is what the UV's presently look like, the best I could get without any overlap, although a nightmare to texture, more like I can't texture it, I can apply some procedural and leave it at that, which I want to fix. Without spending a whole day to UV it, as it contains alot of extrusions, bevels etc.

UV Close up
Image

UV Full View
Image

Geometry Wall
Image

If there is no solution besides spending a whole day UV'ing it, then I'll leave the UV alone.

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Complex Object to UV - Suggestions or I'm Screwed ?

Post by EricTRocks » 24 Nov 2012, 03:07

Not sure what the model is but is sure looks like you have a ton of objects modeled into 1 mesh where it probably should have been split into separate objects to make it easier to manage. Without actually seeing what you're working on there is little else to comment on. The mesh looks ridiculously dense as well. Need to see a broader image of the object.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Falam

Re: Complex Object to UV - Suggestions or I'm Screwed ?

Post by Falam » 24 Nov 2012, 04:35

EricTRocks wrote:Not sure what the model is but is sure looks like you have a ton of objects modeled into 1 mesh where it probably should have been split into separate objects to make it easier to manage. Without actually seeing what you're working on there is little else to comment on. The mesh looks ridiculously dense as well. Need to see a broader image of the object.
I could have done the parts as separate objects. The over-dense is something I did intentionally to iron out some n-gons that I couldn't without a object restructure convert to quads. The mesh looks good rendered, it is to be used as a still image.

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Complex Object to UV - Suggestions or I'm Screwed ?

Post by Maximus » 24 Nov 2012, 16:26

Just a question, isnt faster to remodel the whole thing? Its quite simple geometry couple of extrudes here and there.
Fixing UVs in the current model status is quite a pain and long process, no magic tricks, might as well as i said model it again low poly.

Falam

Re: Complex Object to UV - Suggestions or I'm Screwed ?

Post by Falam » 24 Nov 2012, 16:33

Maximus wrote:Just a question, isnt faster to remodel the whole thing? Its quite simple geometry couple of extrudes here and there.
Fixing UVs in the current model status is quite a pain and long process, no magic tricks, might as well as i said model it again low poly.
The current scene had potential. I have already begun re-modelling the scene. :)

My update is looking better then my previous :)