Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Falam

Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by Falam » 20 Nov 2012, 14:35

I'm having a problem with Softimage 2013 SP1, I can't say when it started, but it continues to happen, even after reinstalling. I run Softimage under a standard user, and the difference when I load under standard and when I load under administrator is noticeable. The administrator load time is significantly faster, but ignores all my preferences, project list etc. I ran runonce.bat, that didn't solve the issue either, can this be fixed without re-installing ?

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by xsisupport » 20 Nov 2012, 17:21

Falam wrote:I'm having a problem with Softimage 2013 SP1, I can't say when it started, but it continues to happen, even after reinstalling. I run Softimage under a standard user, and the difference when I load under standard and when I load under administrator is noticeable. The administrator load time is significantly faster, but ignores all my preferences, project list etc. I ran runonce.bat, that didn't solve the issue either, can this be fixed without re-installing ?
Could be your preferences etc that are slowing things down.
Rename the User folder for your Standard user account and see.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Falam

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by Falam » 21 Nov 2012, 03:36

xsisupport wrote:
Falam wrote:I'm having a problem with Softimage 2013 SP1, I can't say when it started, but it continues to happen, even after reinstalling. I run Softimage under a standard user, and the difference when I load under standard and when I load under administrator is noticeable. The administrator load time is significantly faster, but ignores all my preferences, project list etc. I ran runonce.bat, that didn't solve the issue either, can this be fixed without re-installing ?
Could be your preferences etc that are slowing things down.
Rename the User folder for your Standard user account and see.
It is safe to assume you mean the Softimage 2013 SP1 folder within the User folder, not the entire User Folder ? :)

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by xsisupport » 21 Nov 2012, 09:22

Falam wrote:
xsisupport wrote:
Falam wrote:I'm having a problem with Softimage 2013 SP1, I can't say when it started, but it continues to happen, even after reinstalling. I run Softimage under a standard user, and the difference when I load under standard and when I load under administrator is noticeable. The administrator load time is significantly faster, but ignores all my preferences, project list etc. I ran runonce.bat, that didn't solve the issue either, can this be fixed without re-installing ?
Could be your preferences etc that are slowing things down.
Rename the User folder for your Standard user account and see.
It is safe to assume you mean the Softimage 2013 SP1 folder within the User folder, not the entire User Folder ? :)
Sure :)
To rephrase: rename the Softimage folder in the User location.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Falam

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by Falam » 23 Nov 2012, 12:53

It is safe to assume you mean the Softimage 2013 SP1 folder within the User folder, not the entire User Folder ? :)
Sure :)
To rephrase: rename the Softimage folder in the User location.
That didn't work, Softimage continue to load extremely slow. :(

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by origin » 23 Nov 2012, 23:28

windows 8?

Falam

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by Falam » 24 Nov 2012, 00:09

origin wrote:windows 8?
Windows7 x64

Falam

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by Falam » 28 Nov 2012, 00:27

It is safe to assume you mean the Softimage 2013 SP1 folder within the User folder, not the entire User Folder ? :)
Sure :)
To rephrase: rename the Softimage folder in the User location.
Any other suggestions ?

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by xsisupport » 28 Nov 2012, 10:46

If it was my machine, I'd use Process Monitor to see what's going on.

Also, try creating a new standard user account. Is that slow or fast?

edit: And oh...have you restarted the machine recently?
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Falam

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by Falam » 28 Nov 2012, 14:03

xsisupport wrote:If it was my machine, I'd use Process Monitor to see what's going on.

Also, try creating a new standard user account. Is that slow or fast?

edit: And oh...have you restarted the machine recently?
I've restarted the machine numerous times, recently, for updates etc. The machine is up to date. I'll try process monitor, post any findings.

Falam

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by Falam » 28 Nov 2012, 17:59

xsisupport wrote:If it was my machine, I'd use Process Monitor to see what's going on.

Also, try creating a new standard user account. Is that slow or fast?

edit: And oh...have you restarted the machine recently?
Can I send you the process monitor log file, maybe you can debug it to find the problem ?

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by xsisupport » 28 Nov 2012, 18:41

Falam wrote:
xsisupport wrote:If it was my machine, I'd use Process Monitor to see what's going on.

Also, try creating a new standard user account. Is that slow or fast?

edit: And oh...have you restarted the machine recently?
Can I send you the process monitor log file, maybe you can debug it to find the problem ?
I'll take a quick look, because I'm the curious type.
I'll need the PML file.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Falam

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by Falam » 28 Nov 2012, 20:35

xsisupport wrote:
Falam wrote:
xsisupport wrote:If it was my machine, I'd use Process Monitor to see what's going on.

Also, try creating a new standard user account. Is that slow or fast?

edit: And oh...have you restarted the machine recently?
Can I send you the process monitor log file, maybe you can debug it to find the problem ?
I'll take a quick look, because I'm the curious type.
I'll need the PML file.
I ran process monitor then I run Softimage from a command prompt, and process monitor shows me nothing. I must have restarted process monitor a dozen times, scratching my head as to why it's not logging anything. It is just a blank canvas, arghh.

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by xsisupport » 28 Nov 2012, 21:07

Falam wrote:
I ran process monitor then I run Softimage from a command prompt, and process monitor shows me nothing. I must have restarted process monitor a dozen times, scratching my head as to why it's not logging anything. It is just a blank canvas, arghh.
CTRL+E to capture events?

Check that there are no stray ProcMon processes running.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Falam

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by Falam » 28 Nov 2012, 21:58

xsisupport wrote:
Falam wrote:
I ran process monitor then I run Softimage from a command prompt, and process monitor shows me nothing. I must have restarted process monitor a dozen times, scratching my head as to why it's not logging anything. It is just a blank canvas, arghh.
CTRL+E to capture events?

Check that there are no stray ProcMon processes running.
There was a stray ProMon running, ending that task didn't start up, process monitor, it remains empty after clearing it, setting a filter, running Softimage from a CMD prompt, running Softimage from the Icon <sigh>.

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Softimage (standard user) load time ... slow

Post by xsisupport » 29 Nov 2012, 13:57

Try running Process Monitor with a different user account: your Admin account, or perhaps a new Standard user account.

It seems rather strange that Process Monitor doesn't work.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage