Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Falam

Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Post by Falam » 11 Nov 2012, 19:44

I'm looking for a solution to selecting polygons based on the camera or a specific axis. I have to do Sub-projections on a fairly large object if I could have all polygons that are facing the camera regardless if they are facing the X or the Z axis included in the selection it would be extremely helpful for this task and others.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Nov 2012, 20:10

I'm not sure, but are you perhaps looking for something like
the "Orientation Vector" filter (with maximum deviation control) the RCTools have on offer?
:-\
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Falam

Re: Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Post by Falam » 12 Nov 2012, 03:02

Hirazi Blue wrote:I'm not sure, but are you perhaps looking for something like
the "Orientation Vector" filter (with maximum deviation control) the RCTools have on offer?
:-\
I don't know you are familiar with "Orientation Vector" How do I use it in RCTools ? I load the Custom Filters Dialog and select some polygons I'm unable to understand how to get this to work the old Custom Dialog had Orientation Vector properties the new version I can't differiante which is which ?

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Post by rray » 12 Nov 2012, 09:16

This sounds like the property page's define callback wasn't executed -- this can happen the first time it's called. Did you try after restarting Softimage already?
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

Falam

Re: Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Post by Falam » 12 Nov 2012, 13:56

rray wrote:This sounds like the property page's define callback wasn't executed -- this can happen the first time it's called. Did you try after restarting Softimage already?
I've restarted softimage, specifically the other day three times, no changes in RC Tools.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Post by rray » 12 Nov 2012, 14:37

Would be curious why this doesn't work. The PPG part is VBScript so it should be pretty compatible. Could you try this? --
Uninstall rcTools, delete the custom preference using right click menu in preferences dialog, also the .Preset file in Data/Preferences, then reinstall and look for script errors.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

Falam

Re: Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Post by Falam » 13 Nov 2012, 01:04

rray wrote:Would be curious why this doesn't work. The PPG part is VBScript so it should be pretty compatible. Could you try this? --
Uninstall rcTools, delete the custom preference using right click menu in preferences dialog, also the .Preset file in Data/Preferences, then reinstall and look for script errors.
I have 4.6 installed, now I can differentiate between the settings :)

The Orientation Vector tool, works, not what I was expecting, I have to do it manually by hand :(

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Post by rray » 13 Nov 2012, 09:56

could you say how you expected it to work ? I'm always interested for ideas for an updated version..
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

Falam

Re: Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Post by Falam » 14 Nov 2012, 05:18

rray wrote:could you say how you expected it to work ? I'm always interested for ideas for an updated version..
Based on where my camera is facing the object all the polygons would be selected, regardless if there are polygons facing another axis, while excluding polygons that are not facing the camera.

Another method is a select method, you would choose all those polygons facing the X axis of the object and all polygons facing the Y or Z regardless would be selected as well for the X axis excluding the rest of the polygons that are not facing the X axis, the Y and Z axis would be sub-selections of the X axis for the polygons selected of the object.

User avatar
myara
Posts: 406
Joined: 28 Sep 2011, 08:33

Re: Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Post by myara » 13 Dec 2012, 22:57

Falam wrote:Based on where my camera is facing the object all the polygons would be selected, regardless if there are polygons facing another axis, while excluding polygons that are not facing the camera.
Do you mean, select all the faces that are visible in the current view? Doesn't rectangle raycast do the job?
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

Falam

Re: Selecting Polygons based on Camera

Post by Falam » 14 Dec 2012, 03:09

myara wrote:
Falam wrote:Based on where my camera is facing the object all the polygons would be selected, regardless if there are polygons facing another axis, while excluding polygons that are not facing the camera.
Do you mean, select all the faces that are visible in the current view? Doesn't rectangle raycast do the job?
Ah, maybe that is what I'm after, forgot :) 8-}