Exporting Character Ani

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Exporting Character Ani

Post by Frank1000 » 09 Nov 2012, 00:39

Hi,
I was wondering how I would Collada export a rigged character animation. I wanted to test to export such an animation from SI and import as an animated avatar to CLO3D c3d clothing software. So far I have created a default pedestrian and assigned animations to it, then simulated a crowd on it and set the number of actors to one. Selected the actor and file / crosswalk / export, but when i re-import to SI, it has no animation on it. How would I go about to get an animated character to be exported to collada right ? Because that's the format that CLO3D or MarvelousDesigner2 would read to create the clothing animation.

Image

Regards,
Frank

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Exporting Character Ani

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Nov 2012, 12:23

Sorry for the late reply... :-s
As your screenshot is CrowdFX related, I think you're trying to export animation that's contained in an Action Clip.
Before you can export animation to Collada you should probably restore the animation.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Exporting Character Ani

Post by Frank1000 » 19 Nov 2012, 07:20

Hi Hirazi,
thx for your reply. I've tried it but got stuck this time exporting, I yet get an Invalid Argument Error on it. Can I just select the actor and export it to Collada ? or is this to be done differently ?

Image

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Exporting Character Ani

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Nov 2012, 12:06

Considering that I have opened a CrowdFX sample file only twice until now and hardly use the Collada export myself, it’s no wonder I made some mistake in my previous answer: there is obviously no need to reapply the animation as this can all be taken care of by the Collada exporter. So please ignore retroactively! When exporting to other software it probably is best to plot the animation & uncheck “Export All Action Sources”, as the other software won’t know what to do with theses “Action Sources” anyway.
I did export a CrowdFX Pedestrian™ with intact animation to Collada and back. To do this I first exported myself a copy of the Pedestrian™ as a “normal” model (under a SlightlyDifferentName™) and imported this into a new scene for clarity’s sake. After that I threw an Animation Source into the Mixer and exported (and imported) this animated model successfully (with “Plotting” on and “Export All Action Sources” off in the exporter)
But from your screenshot error: are you perhaps trying to export into your Samples directory, which probably (by “silly” default) lives in the Program Files directory? This is read-only, so you won’t get Softimage to write much there, without the proper permissions.
:-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Exporting Character Ani

Post by Frank1000 » 19 Nov 2012, 23:39

cool, works!

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Exporting Character Ani

Post by Frank1000 » 20 Nov 2012, 00:02

I've tried to export/import the result of a crowd fx pedestrian, but I'm yet receiving t-poses when re-importing. Seems the crowd fx result is not being plotted.

Regards,
Frank