How would you approach a "shuffle" animation like these?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
realflowbow
Posts: 1
Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 00:44

How would you approach a "shuffle" animation like these?

Post by realflowbow » 05 Nov 2012, 21:28

http://www.jamination.com/JAM%20WEB%20D ... uffles.htm

I would like to make the animation procedurally in ICE, but don't know where to start. I know what I want, but it's a matter of getting there. I'm just starting out in ICE and could really appreciate some help.

Thanks :)

BTW- I'm going to be using 3 basketballs for my animation. But, would like to create a system that allows you to plug in any number of objects and randomly change up the animation.

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: How would you approach a "shuffle" animation like these?

Post by SamHowell » 06 Nov 2012, 10:16

I dont really understand what all this shuffle business is about but I dont see that you need ICE at all to create these animations. Everything looks like standard transform keyframe animation to me.

Maybe i've missed something.

EDIT: Whoops just read the last part of your post. I suppose you could use nulls to animate the shuffle movement animation and then just put your object as a child underneath them. You can just swap them out with whatever new object you want

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: How would you approach a "shuffle" animation like these?

Post by Daniel Brassard » 06 Nov 2012, 12:55

Just some though:

* make a figure 8 curve (i.e twist a curve circle into a figure 8)
* attach the balls to the curve, each ball at a different start position on the curve
* make the balls follow the curve path during animation

This should simulate the shuffle you are looking after.

The same principle can be used to animate model flying airplane, model car racing around a track, and other effects.

http://misterdi.cgpot.com/tutorial/Path ... h_ICE.html
http://s3.darkvertex.com/hlinked/ice/IC ... traint.png
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... u7oPkiv_Xw
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif