Maya selection behavior vs Softimage?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
fuad4s
Posts: 8
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 07:36

Maya selection behavior vs Softimage?

Post by fuad4s » 28 Oct 2012, 04:40

Hi,

This is not a Maya vs Softimage thread, I only ask help from users of both SI & Maya.
Recently I'm using Maya and I noticed that the object selection behavior is very different than Softimage, I don't mean shortcuts, it's very easy to select another joint or object when you are trying to move or rotate an already selected one, also for example if you have rotation tool active and you go and click on a joint it is very common to rotate it immediately or even flip it? hopefully I cleared my point.
Now is it just me or is there something I should modify in Maya?

Thanks!

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Maya selection behavior vs Softimage?

Post by McNistor » 30 Oct 2012, 04:53

Yeah, welcome (or should I say welgone :ymdevil: ) to Maya! Enjoy the infinite number of little annoying things.

p.s. The selection is screwed-up like that, don't know what you're experiencing with rotations and I can't check it out.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: Maya selection behavior vs Softimage?

Post by gustavoeb » 30 Oct 2012, 14:19

Something I find quite annoying is that tied to this very issue you described the element selection is not persistent. Its easy to accidentaly lose a very complicated element selection.
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

fuad4s
Posts: 8
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 07:36

Re: Maya selection behavior vs Softimage?

Post by fuad4s » 30 Oct 2012, 15:26

gustavoeb wrote:Something I find quite annoying is that tied to this very issue you described the element selection is not persistent. Its easy to accidentaly lose a very complicated element selection.
Exactly, I guess there is no fix then?

User avatar
csaez
Posts: 253
Joined: 09 Jul 2012, 13:31
Skype: csaezmargotta
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Maya selection behavior vs Softimage?

Post by csaez » 30 Oct 2012, 20:15

Selection masks, there should be a marking menu but I can't remember the shortcut... maybe something like Q+RMB?

fuad4s
Posts: 8
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 07:36

Re: Maya selection behavior vs Softimage?

Post by fuad4s » 30 Oct 2012, 20:19

csaez wrote:Selection masks, there should be a marking menu but I can't remember the shortcut... maybe something like Q+RMB?
Thanks Csaez, I will look into that.
Cheers!

ctedin
Posts: 9
Joined: 01 Jun 2011, 20:46

Re: Maya selection behavior vs Softimage?

Post by ctedin » 11 Nov 2012, 15:05

Wow, you hit the nail precisely on the head (something that's darn near impossible with Maya). Selection of any object or component is so excruciatingly difficult with Maya, it's surprising that anyone still bothers to use that dog of a program. It is, however, very easy to lose your selections in the blink of an eye. Hate to bring up a competitor, but the only program that comes close to Softimage for almost reading your mind is Houdini. Amazing that it allows you to do the simple task of selecting other objects that are within the move or rotate gizmos, without requiring you to deselect or switch to the select tool...