I tried (still no smartphone) updating our Tapatalk plugin to version 2.5 (changelog) today. This isn’t very much trouble, although the friendly folk at Tapatalk do offer updates quite regularly. My question would be: is it still worth updating? Wouldn’t keeping the plugin at its current version be sufficient?
If I look at the Usage Statistics over the last 30 days, I can’t say Tapatalk is our most-used feature...
Any thoughts on this?
Tapatalk update & the future of...
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Tapatalk update & the future of...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Tapatalk update & the future of...
To me seems not worth the effort unless a tapatalk client update requires an updated version of the plugin. Could use the tapatalk talk thread to report if that is the case.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Tapatalk update & the future of...
Well, I'm not sure, if one vote constitutes a representative sample out of approximately three recurring users,
but I think I won't be updating Tapatalk at every release they offer for a while.
Let's see how it works out!
Feel free however to still join the si-Tapatalk experience...
At least you then claim to be part of a select group of people!

but I think I won't be updating Tapatalk at every release they offer for a while.
Let's see how it works out!
Feel free however to still join the si-Tapatalk experience...
At least you then claim to be part of a select group of people!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Tapatalk update & the future of...
hehe, I'm one of the three guys! But im using it only for basic stuff, so far it works good
-
gustavoeb
- Moderator
- Posts: 587
- Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
- Skype: gustavoboehs
Re: Tapatalk update & the future of...
Here is the third one then. We are now unanimous! I would say just update if they require for client compatibility or if they add support for some of the stuff still lacking, like pools, and embeded youtube/vimeo content
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
-
dwigfor
- Posts: 395
- Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46
Re: RE: Tapatalk update & the future of...
Hey guys. I found (and am typing this from) a free tapatalk app for Windows Phone 8. Never tried this while on android (didn't want to pay for app), but this seems to work well. Thanks belatedly for adding this feature to si-community. App is called Board Express.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
-
NNois
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33
Re: Tapatalk update & the future of...
Hello,
It's just a thought but how about switching for a responsive theme ?
A responsive web page is a page who can update his style when the browser change his size, so in essence very useful for portable devices... this is one of the new "standards" on the web ;-)
an example would be : (change progressively your browser size and look how the elements are updating)
googled phpbb responsive theme : http://demo.rockettheme.com/phpbb3/?style=metropolis
or another this time for word press http://themeid.com/demo/responsive/ (resize your browser)
Personaly i check this community 25% of the time from my iphone but in full size so it's a little hard to use...
I know, it's a hard task, but maybe not, i've googled it and found this on github https://github.com/simonsmith/responsive-phpbb maybe there are others ?
If i had time on day, i'll check that on a test site...
Noël
It's just a thought but how about switching for a responsive theme ?
A responsive web page is a page who can update his style when the browser change his size, so in essence very useful for portable devices... this is one of the new "standards" on the web ;-)
an example would be : (change progressively your browser size and look how the elements are updating)
googled phpbb responsive theme : http://demo.rockettheme.com/phpbb3/?style=metropolis
or another this time for word press http://themeid.com/demo/responsive/ (resize your browser)
Personaly i check this community 25% of the time from my iphone but in full size so it's a little hard to use...
I know, it's a hard task, but maybe not, i've googled it and found this on github https://github.com/simonsmith/responsive-phpbb maybe there are others ?
If i had time on day, i'll check that on a test site...
Noël
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Tapatalk update & the future of...
It's an interesting idea and I will have to look into it a bit more before I can really say anything conclusive about it, but after a quick test, the "responsive style" you link to on github doesn't seem to work for our little community (or at least my own local copy) and its development seems to have stagnated. I did find some "responsive styles" for phpbb3, but they weren't free and it was unclear to me, if they would work with our "ancient/legacy" version of phpbb3. Like I said, I will look at it some more and ask Owei what's his take on this. So, maybe...
;)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!