Architectural vs (Standard) materials
-
luchifer
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 20:27
- Location: Lima, Perú
Architectural vs (Standard) materials
Hi, just a quick question, if Architectural material is fast, have good quality and its also mental ray friendly, in what situations should I use Blinn/Strauss/cook-torrance/phong?
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Architectural vs (Standard) materials
in my opinion never, unless you strictly need them for compatibility issues maybe with other softwares.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Architectural vs (Standard) materials
They all produce a specific look. Architectural is a more advanced, more realistic lighting model but at times you may want the others to produce a specific, perhaps not as realistic look. Also, for certain things (like motion graphics/logos/plastic) the specular model is easier to control on some of the other shaders for quick easy results.
I find the Architectural shader's specular system a problem although you can go with true reflections and model the lights instead. You can also replace the specular shader with one from Binary Alchemy which I find works very well.
Probably the most important feature of the Architectural material is the BRDF (the way reflection intensity changes with angle) which all real materials have. It adds a level of realism the others can't produce.
In general, you probably rarely need the old ones
I find the Architectural shader's specular system a problem although you can go with true reflections and model the lights instead. You can also replace the specular shader with one from Binary Alchemy which I find works very well.
Probably the most important feature of the Architectural material is the BRDF (the way reflection intensity changes with angle) which all real materials have. It adds a level of realism the others can't produce.
In general, you probably rarely need the old ones
-
luchifer
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 20:27
- Location: Lima, Perú
Re: Architectural vs (Standard) materials
thank you, I was out of 3d for quite some time and found that the Architectural does a lot of things of the old beloved ones.