Viewport Quality Horrible with Large Scale Scene

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
SvalinnAsgard
Posts: 24
Joined: 17 Oct 2012, 08:19
Location: United States

Viewport Quality Horrible with Large Scale Scene

Post by SvalinnAsgard » 17 Oct 2012, 21:36

Hail to thee,

Perhaps this has been brought up before, but I find myself at odds with the lack of quality in the Softimage viewport when viewing a scene that has objects placed out in the 11,000 unit range. I am building a large city for a game and it must be to scale, but working from a distance is hard because of the constant flickering and depth issues. Select triangles from objects hundreds of units behind another start appearing in front. This creates a garbled mess of triangles and black backfaces. Judging the overall shape and composition from a distance is critical for a game city, but this cannot be done. I have tried different modes, but there is no real difference aside from a huge FPS drop. After using 3DS Max and Maya, I greatly admire Softimage, and this is the first real issue I have with it.

Does anyone know how to improve the viewport quality at huge scales?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

User avatar
csaez
Posts: 253
Joined: 09 Jul 2012, 13:31
Skype: csaezmargotta
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Viewport Quality Horrible with Large Scale Scene

Post by csaez » 17 Oct 2012, 23:52

Play a little bit with the clipping planes of your camera, lowering the near plane should do the trick ;)

User avatar
SvalinnAsgard
Posts: 24
Joined: 17 Oct 2012, 08:19
Location: United States

Re: Viewport Quality Horrible with Large Scale Scene

Post by SvalinnAsgard » 18 Oct 2012, 01:13

Thank you for the reply. Your suggestion appears to have worked quite well; I had sent my far clip plane very far away early on and the range between the two was in the millions of units, causing a lot of distortion.

Thanks again.