Softimage Subscription

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
azurecgi
Posts: 171
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11

Softimage Subscription

Post by azurecgi » 13 Oct 2012, 23:31

Can anyone in the UK tell me what the current yearly subscription is for Softimage? Is it still in the ridiculous position of being the most expensive of AD's 3D offerings?

I ask because there were rumours floating around various forums of a price drop a few months ago!

If they haven't dropped it, then they bloody well should, especially as we have not even had a 2013 SAP version this cycle X(

However much I love using Softimage, as a small production studio it is getting harder and harder to justify keeping it, when you can get a basic subscription on Maya or 3DS Max for around £400/year.

I know we are getting 'Gold Support', but I have never used it and don't like being forced to pay for it. I just want a basic subscription that gives me access to new versions and patches/fixes.

User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Re: Softimage Subscription

Post by mattmos » 14 Oct 2012, 15:14

They did drop the price from the ridiculous 70% increase down to 'just' a 20% rise, so its now hovering around the 600 mark inc vat. Once they saw the effect on subscription customers they changed their tune fairly quickly. I hope they take note, subscription does not equal captive customer. People will walk if you take the piss.

Im happy to support development at the lower price, but would still like to see a silver subscription.

azurecgi
Posts: 171
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11

Re: Softimage Subscription

Post by azurecgi » 14 Oct 2012, 21:52

Well I suppose that's a bit better!

Someone ought to tell bluegfx though as on their website it's still listed at £785 + vat!

If it is around £600 this year I'll probably go for it to see what the new development team have done to Softimage 2014 :) , if not I'm going to have a serious think about software choices for my studio for the future.