Random start time of a video sprite in a point cloud

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
pablogv
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 08:37

Random start time of a video sprite in a point cloud

Post by pablogv » 05 Oct 2012, 19:44

I have a particle emission of sprites which display a video of a ball exploding. How should I do for the particles displaying randomly the explosions? I mean at different moments. Thanks

User avatar
claudevervoort
Posts: 89
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada

Re: Random start time of a video sprite in a point cloud

Post by claudevervoort » 05 Oct 2012, 21:09

Have you look at the timesource on the clip? You could use the particle age, or any other ICE attribute to drive which frame from the animation is displayed.

Claude

pablogv
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 08:37

Re: Random start time of a video sprite in a point cloud

Post by pablogv » 08 Oct 2012, 11:17

claudevervoort wrote:Have you look at the timesource on the clip? You could use the particle age, or any other ICE attribute to drive which frame from the animation is displayed.

Claude
Thanks Claude for your reply! But I still haven't solve it. I tried with Timesource on the clip and drived to particle age but only get affect all particles. Maybe randomising particle age attribute?
I have a video clip with a particle spinnig and at frame number 100 it explodes. I would like to make a point cloud with this video assigned to the particles randomly in time. I mean all the particles spin while being emmited and explode at different moments.

User avatar
claudevervoort
Posts: 89
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada

Re: Random start time of a video sprite in a point cloud

Post by claudevervoort » 08 Oct 2012, 13:57

Oh I see, if I understand well, all your particles are spawned at the same time so have the same age. If so, one way to address it would be at spawn time to bind a random value of when the explosion should start, and create a new attribute to drive the animation which would be: age duration - random_start? Possibly force it to be 0 when negative? Or use the cycle options in the clip if a negative value does not display frame 0.

Habe to run, hope this helps,

Claude