Introduction to Arnold (course)

New plugins, tools etc.
pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by pluMmet » 05 Oct 2012, 19:03

http://xsisupport.com/2012/10/03/introd ... to-arnold/

http://www.fxphd.com/

I can't afford it at the moment but that didn't stop me from joining fxphd in order to use the renderer that I have been fawning over ever since I saw the pepeland short (what was it 8 years ago.)

It's a short term license (non commercial) but I just need to get my start on it.

Happy Happy Joy Joy

I never know if stuff like this goes into announcements or news?

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by pluMmet » 08 Oct 2012, 19:32

Arnold up and running.... was pulling out my hair trying to get it to run.

I had to uninstall Fury render. Is there a way to have both available. I'm still kind of new to si.

I'll email exocortex if it's not a simple fix.

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by gustavoeb » 08 Oct 2012, 19:43

this USED to be an issue... as far as I understand it was fixed before I joined the beta for Fury2, and all through that time I did not have any problems with both running side-by-side.
but you might want to ask Ben, from Exocortex
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by pluMmet » 08 Oct 2012, 20:24

Perhaps the Fury that comes with slipstream is not Fury2.0?

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by gustavoeb » 08 Oct 2012, 20:27

no, that would be Fury1, and I have no clue how it behaves with Arnold :/
they might have issued a fix anyways... again, better checking with Ben. and if you can post the answer here :-bd
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by Kerro Perro » 08 Oct 2012, 21:46

So you get a temporary arnold license if you just join fxphd even if you're not taking the course? Odd...
How is it? ;)

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by pluMmet » 08 Oct 2012, 21:55

pluMmet wrote: I can't afford it at the moment but that didn't stop me from joining fxphd in order to use the renderer that I have been fawning over ever since I saw the pepeland short (what was it 8 years ago.)
I am taking the course... why would you think otherwise?

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by Kerro Perro » 08 Oct 2012, 22:22

I thought you meant you just joined as a member of fxphd without actually taking the course because you said you couldn't afford it.
I misunderstood but you're sentence really reads that way to me: I think it's because you wrote "i'm joining fxphd" instead of "i'm doing the course" - i thought they were two different things you see? And also why i thought it odd ;)

Edit: okay i just realized you meant you couldn't afford arnold not the course right? Or am i wrong again? ;)

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by pluMmet » 08 Oct 2012, 22:42

You're doing fine Kerro lol

"I can't afford it at the moment but that didn't stop me from joining fxphd in order to use the renderer"

I've broken apart the sentence to help out.

For the record I can't afford 5 or 15 licenses of Arnold. I can afford 1 but they don't sell 1.

At the moment I have just spent a large chunk of money on mbFeathers, Xara Studio Pro X and some Mootz tools as well.

It is a stretch right now for me to join FXphd but I decided it was important enough to find a way to come up with the money when my credit card comes due. :)

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by Kerro Perro » 08 Oct 2012, 22:56

Ah i see you like collecting your cg tools like me. ;) I've bought quite a few apps and plugins this year :ymblushing:
So are you planning on getting 5-15 licenses in the future when you have the funds or will you wait till they sell it as a single license? That is if they ever will - but surely they must do someday :ymdaydream:

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by pluMmet » 08 Oct 2012, 23:28

Well against my desire I have been studying economy and investing for the last few years. I hate it as all I want to do is create CG film. That however takes funds.

So to answer your question if any of my investments every give me a proper return then I will get the Arnold seats necessary along with hiring artists. If not that then perhaps one day they will offer single seats.

I also must say even though I hate having to focus on economy and making money instead of creating art and storytelling, economy is really an interesting thing to study and know. I'm grudgingly happy to have learned about these things.

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by Kerro Perro » 09 Oct 2012, 00:07

Oh that's actually very interesting - i have pretty much decided to do the opposite and not focus on making money with cg and my drawing at all but instead focus all my energies into creating a short and drawing comics (focusing heavily on the short atm but practicing my drawing nearly everyday as well).

The hope is to one day get noticed i guess (maybe by you when you're a studio boss ;) ) but the deeper reason is that i just want to have made some of the stories and images in my mind before i croak! And i'm very lucky that i have a very un-demanding "day-job" that leaves me with a reasonable wage and a whole lot of free time to devote on this.

But your dedication is impressive: the older i get the more i realize that to fulfill your dreams you have to do a lot of stuff you don't really want to do - a lot of boring hard grind. (not that economy is all that boring, i find it very interesting myself but you know what i mean - endless studying and practicing and stuff) I am now very curious about the stories you want to tell eventually: you have a blog or facebook or some such?

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by pluMmet » 09 Oct 2012, 00:49

Well I'm a storyteller first... I have a very vivid and lucid mental image ability. As an artist computers have given me the ability to bring my years of story creation to light.

I'm more of a natural sculptor then a paint or pencil artist. I can never decide what lines to leave out in a drawing.

Patrick Nagel is a good example of someone who does this very well:
Image

As far as the content of my stories they are for the most part religious science fiction though I don't subscribe to any particular identity of a god for myself or in my stories.

I have over 20 detailed outlines of movie length stories along with a very detailed children's cartoon (geared for ages 9 to 14) and a handsome size bound publication. I can't call the publication a graphic novel as it does not fit that description. I have chosen to refer to it as an Illustrated Novel due to there being type pages that have no images to them at all while having full page images with a few cell image pages thrown in where appropriate.

I do have some non-religious sci fi stuff too but very little of that.

I don't have a place where I discuss them but I can share a short cartoon idea that I have that I decided might not be totally appropriate and therefore needs no cloak of newness.

The premiss is that an English butler who had always dreamed of being a hero in Mexico leaves his duties to do just that.

So here we have a tall thin male with a butlers outfit on with a poncho draped over it and a sombrero on his head.

He has various enemies like any good simple cartoon.

So in each episode (geared for ages 4 to 9) He is interacting in Mexico and is either asked for help or stumbles onto a crime.

Here is his gitchy catch. He has a mule that follows him around as his side kick (the mule walks on two legs.) When ever things get tough he snaps his fingers and says "Pepe, Loopy Habanero" Pepe being the mules name.

The Mule hands over a pepper that has rolling deep colors along it's length and a slight glow.With the pepper the hero does a sort of Popeye thing and saves the town or girl or whichever thing.

That is only part 1 of the catch. Part 2 is that the mule carries a satchel at all times that he keeps full of cheese. When the Hero asks for the Loopy Habanero he pulls out a piece of cheese and a little mouse shows up quick as lightning with the Loopy Habanero.

All that setup has built into it lots of room for humor and story lines. For instance the Hero (I have not decided on a good name yet (Gieves maybe lol) from time to time will remark on the mules love of cheese and the few times he notices the mouse it never clicks that the cheese is for the little critter.

I only have actually envisioned 1 whole episode from this idea and it cracks me up when I think of it.

I have lots of fragments of other episodes in mind one being where one of the enemies thinks he sees the mouses role in the Heroes efforts and decides to try to follow the mouse in order to get his hands on the pepper which results in a sort of Wile E. Coyote, Roadrunner/ Daffy, Bugs thing.

So anyway I'm not sure that an Englishman as a hero in Mexico would appeal to people that think that the Taco Bell dog is offensive.

My other stuff for the most part stays under wraps.

Oh ya, I had hoped to get They Might Be Giants to do the theme song of which I came up with the opening line and course.

I've tried to round myself off in order to be able to direct these ideas by learning the various CG disciplines ie. Modeling, texturing, rigging, animating, lighting and compositing (I'm working on rendering as we speak :D ) and I've made sure not to leave out music creation.

How'd I do lol
Last edited by pluMmet on 09 Oct 2012, 11:47, edited 7 times in total.

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by iamVFX » 09 Oct 2012, 04:11

Who is Ulf Lundgren?

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by pluMmet » 09 Oct 2012, 09:59

iamVFX wrote:Who is Ulf Lundgren?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1280227/


Special Effects (6 titles)
2010 Kommissarie Späck (special effects supervisor)

2010 Insane (special effects supervisor)

2009 Psalm 21 (special effects supervisor)

2009 Kenny Begins (special effects)

2008 LasseMajas detektivbyrå - Kameleontens hämnd (special effects)

2006 LasseMajas detektivbyrå (TV series) (special effects supervisor)

Hide HideVisual Effects (5 titles)
2010 Kommissarie Späck (visual effects supervisor)

2009 Psalm 21 (visual effects)

2008 LasseMajas detektivbyrå - Kameleontens hämnd (digital effects)

2007 The Golden Compass (technical director: Framestore CFC)

2002 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (technical animator: Framestore CFC - uncredited)

Hide HideProducer (1 title)
2010 Kommissarie Späck (executive producer)

Hide HideCinematographer (1 title)
2002 Ice Egg (short)

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: Introduction to Arnold (course)

Post by iamVFX » 09 Oct 2012, 10:02

Nice filmography.

Thanks, pluMmet