Instancing and translating objects in pointcloud

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
bdamien
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 Sep 2012, 22:40

Instancing and translating objects in pointcloud

Post by bdamien » 05 Oct 2012, 10:33

Argh, this is killing me!

I have a pointcloud driven by a custom parameter. I need to instance objects (piston cap and piston rod) to cloud in a way that when piston Y-position changes rod X-position changes accordingly. This can not be very difficult but I'm completely lost my self here.

I have a the rod enveloped to a bone and the bone roots position is constrained to piston cap. Now the bone effector should move in X based on the piston cap Y. Is one pointcloud enough to control both piston cap and rod or do I need 2 pointclouds? After many many hours of hairpulling I can't handle this my self so pls, help.

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Instancing and translating objects in pointcloud

Post by EricTRocks » 05 Oct 2012, 22:51

Do you need to use a point cloud at all? Is this going to be a massive particle system in the end or just the one piston and cap?
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

bdamien
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 Sep 2012, 22:40

Re: Instancing and translating objects in pointcloud

Post by bdamien » 05 Oct 2012, 23:40

Yes there will be quite a big amount of pistons driven by a black/white image sequence. Something like in this tut vid http://vimeo.com/19235073

So the piston rods should be moving only when cap is moving.

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB