I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
-
curly
- Posts: 77
- Joined: 06 Oct 2010, 06:43
I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
Hi,
I saw a friend of me importing an ipisoft biped bvh file and autmatically retargeting the mocap to 3DS Max CAT system.
It works and in Softimage the workflow is much harder -> using motor. A company called esphere is developing an ICE system for 3DS Max. They call it cortex.
There's not so much reason anymore why I should look further at Softimage. I'm going to buy a license of 3DS Max. (The purpose of this post is not to insult you. But to explain that Softimage is losing their last advantage. Also when you look at how simple the retargeting of mocap works, look at the wrapit retopo plugin etc...
Thanks for heaving a good time at this forum.
I saw a friend of me importing an ipisoft biped bvh file and autmatically retargeting the mocap to 3DS Max CAT system.
It works and in Softimage the workflow is much harder -> using motor. A company called esphere is developing an ICE system for 3DS Max. They call it cortex.
There's not so much reason anymore why I should look further at Softimage. I'm going to buy a license of 3DS Max. (The purpose of this post is not to insult you. But to explain that Softimage is losing their last advantage. Also when you look at how simple the retargeting of mocap works, look at the wrapit retopo plugin etc...
Thanks for heaving a good time at this forum.
-
Kerro Perro
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
- Location: Leiden, the Netherlands
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
Yup Softimage is losing it's last advantage - everything is easier and better in Max and oh look: the sky is falling!
Thank you for your important message!
Not be aggressive but your post is a bit silly no?
Thank you for your important message!
Not be aggressive but your post is a bit silly no?
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
I think I'm going to stay right here, where I can retarget with ultimate control in ICE.
But thanks for the news.
But thanks for the news.
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
dont know much about retargeting, but cant you make rig retarget template from that russian soft to your custom rig?
ps CAT is still not production ready tool (sorry Phil) so be ready to redo your scenes after fatal crash.
ps CAT is still not production ready tool (sorry Phil) so be ready to redo your scenes after fatal crash.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
I only vaguely recall seeing a video of Cortex, but the well-established "Thinking Particles" is a lot like ICE.
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
I thought it was just for particles.luceric wrote:I only vaguely recall seeing a video of Cortex, but the well-established "Thinking Particles" is a lot like ICE.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
Can't really judge the current state of Max, but if ephere can pull off what they show in their Cortex Alpha Overview video, then this might be an interesting tool. Not "leave Softimage for" interesting IMHO, but interesting nonetheless. Personally I like the idea of scripting nodes (with on-the-fly compilation), but you'd have to see more i.e. the end-result to know if it really is worth it. The pricing of the product (TBA as far as I can tell) might be of influence too obviously.
;)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
Hey Look, they have the "Tab" Houdini/Nuke alike for the nodes.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
so is XSI, from what I read..Pooby wrote:I thought it was just for particles.luceric wrote:I only vaguely recall seeing a video of Cortex, but the well-established "Thinking Particles" is a lot like ICE.
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
There are many node editor tools out there, some better implemented than other and many more will come. Example:
a. Rhino Grasshopper
b. Houdini
c. C4D Expresso
d. Nodebox
e. Project Skyline
Your choice of tools is your personnel choice. If Max will allow you to find a good job, good for you.
Don't discard Softimage too early though, you may be surprise how you will miss some features and workflow.
Cheers!
a. Rhino Grasshopper
b. Houdini
c. C4D Expresso
d. Nodebox
e. Project Skyline
Your choice of tools is your personnel choice. If Max will allow you to find a good job, good for you.
Don't discard Softimage too early though, you may be surprise how you will miss some features and workflow.
Cheers!
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 04 Oct 2012, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
nuverian
- Posts: 143
- Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 21:25
- Location: Greece
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
Discard Softimage for Maya, well maybe. But for MAX?
I just hate that software. I feel like being in a room locked form the outside.
I just hate that software. I feel like being in a room locked form the outside.
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net
http://www.nuverian.net
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
luceric wrote:so is XSI, from what I read..Pooby wrote:I thought it was just for particles.luceric wrote:I only vaguely recall seeing a video of Cortex, but the well-established "Thinking Particles" is a lot like ICE.
Oh God, you're not starting to believe your own press releases are you...
-
gustavoeb
- Moderator
- Posts: 587
- Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
- Skype: gustavoboehs
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
if it fits your bill, go...
but seriously, max?
but seriously, max?
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
Everytime I found some better alternative to softimage I turn back to softimage with tails between my legs...
Good look with 3dsm, I see many nice tools inside it, but don't like the workflow.
Good look with 3dsm, I see many nice tools inside it, but don't like the workflow.
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
Yeah, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
If the only thing you think that Softimage has over any of the other apps is ICE then you're clearly only using Softimage for particles.
If the only thing you think that Softimage has over any of the other apps is ICE then you're clearly only using Softimage for particles.
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: I think I'm going to switch to 3DS Max
Sorry curly, but announcing the switcheroo is not informing, its looking for encouragement. I understand, though. It's a big decision. If it only didn't mean putting yourself into Autodesk's claws all over again, i'd even call it worth a second thought. ;)curly wrote:Hi,
...
Zing!luceric wrote:so is XSI, from what I read..Pooby wrote:I thought it was just for particles.luceric wrote:I only vaguely recall seeing a video of Cortex, but the well-established "Thinking Particles" is a lot like ICE.
Going by that analogy, i'd say working with maya is like facing a huge hurricane coming straight at ya, all while being locked out on the open. There are slim chances you might brake into the shelter, but most likely you're in for a crazy ride, not knowing where you're gonna end up. Perhaps under the pile of cars, perhaps on the roof of a church... or maybe in the Land of Oz.... Who knows, Who knows?nuverian wrote:Discard Softimage for Maya, well maybe. But for MAX?![]()
I just hate that software. I feel like being in a room locked form the outside.