Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
-
cheeseburger
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 08:56
Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
Hi Guys,
Does any one know of a way to have a Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ?
Let me give you an example ... When I model a piece of furniture or a building, it is made up of many objects, some UVed one way in Softimage and probably some with UV Layout or similar. The problem is that all the pieces have their UVs at different scales. Is there any way to start off differently or add some script that can put a unique scale factor on all of them ? Either I am missing some thing or there is a huge time wasting proceedure rescaling all of them. Could ICE be the way to go ? Pooby, any ideas ?
Thanks
cheeseburger
Does any one know of a way to have a Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ?
Let me give you an example ... When I model a piece of furniture or a building, it is made up of many objects, some UVed one way in Softimage and probably some with UV Layout or similar. The problem is that all the pieces have their UVs at different scales. Is there any way to start off differently or add some script that can put a unique scale factor on all of them ? Either I am missing some thing or there is a huge time wasting proceedure rescaling all of them. Could ICE be the way to go ? Pooby, any ideas ?
Thanks
cheeseburger
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
I also always wondered how to do this, its one of those things i always forget to ask, and i'm just doing everything manually.
There should be an automatic scale somewhere but..not sure.
Of all the softwares i saw, modo is a beast for UV and it has an automatic scale/packing which is amazing.
There should be an automatic scale somewhere but..not sure.
Of all the softwares i saw, modo is a beast for UV and it has an automatic scale/packing which is amazing.
-
cheeseburger
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 08:56
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
Really ?
So you can do this in Modo automatically ? Is there any kind of script editor that one can open up and look at the code ? I am desperate, I'll try anything, although I'm just really not sure where to start off with ICE. I think it could hold the answer. Maybe a way of using one object's scale and imposing it on to many ?!
So you can do this in Modo automatically ? Is there any kind of script editor that one can open up and look at the code ? I am desperate, I'll try anything, although I'm just really not sure where to start off with ICE. I think it could hold the answer. Maybe a way of using one object's scale and imposing it on to many ?!
-
cheeseburger
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 08:56
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
Please help ... does any body else know how this can be done ?
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
You mean scale them relative to their current size? Or so they all match the chosen scale?cheeseburger wrote:Is there any way to start off differently or add some script that can put a unique scale factor on all of them ?
Can I see modo example?
-
cheeseburger
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 08:56
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
I mean all objects to have the same scale UVs. So for example pieces of a building would have the same scale, if you took the floor texture and put it on the wall it would remain the same size where ever you put it. It's especially relevant to furniture and any realistic scale models for clients. Hope that makes sense... Thought a better second example ... Cushions If you had the same texture on a small cushion and a bigger cushion you would see it would repeat x amount of times depending on how much bigger the big cushion is.
-
cheeseburger
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 08:56
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
Just thinking aloud but couldn't some one write some thing in ICE that took an object's bounding box and based on its units, scale the UVs or repeat texture to match a reference or scene object ?
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
If I'm correct, actually it should be summary of all polygon areas on some mesh. If so, you'll need to set some reference value, which determinate, does it need to scale up or down.cheeseburger wrote:Just thinking aloud but couldn't some one write some thing in ICE that took an object's bounding box and based on its
units, scale the UVs or repeat texture to match a reference or scene object ?
Not hard to do ICE tree, but for usage on many objects at once, some scripting is needed.
-
cheeseburger
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 08:56
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
Hi Mathhaeus,
Thanks for the reply.
Is there any chance of bashing together an example that could help set this off. I think many people would use this everyday on just about any modeling tasks.
Best
cheeseburger
Thanks for the reply.
Is there any chance of bashing together an example that could help set this off. I think many people would use this everyday on just about any modeling tasks.
Best
cheeseburger
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
Probably I'll have some time and XSI in hand ... tomorrow. That's about ICE tree. BTW SI displays surface area when you press shift+enter, having some object selected, so maybe it's better idea to go with scripting.cheeseburger wrote:Hi Mathhaeus,
Thanks for the reply.
Is there any chance of bashing together an example that could help set this off. I think many people would use this everyday on just about any modeling tasks.
I know you know a brute force way - merge meshes before applying an unique UV projection.
-
cheeseburger
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 08:56
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
Yeah, there's always that way ... it just seems so crazy that there isn't a nice simple elegant way.
Would really appreciate you having a look tomorrow
Thanks
Would really appreciate you having a look tomorrow
Thanks
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
That's what I meant. It "de - normalize" standard UV fitting into 0 - 1 range. It expects you already have UV layout which fits into 0 - 1 UV as much as possible, without too much overlaps or empty space. Let's say, something like XSI automatic unique UV projection. It also expects 1 1 1 scale of object. There are two references to UV projection, if you want to script some procedure, you'll need to take care about these references, too.
Cheers
Cheers
-
cheeseburger
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 08:56
Re: Uniform UV scale over multiple objects ? !
Back to the "merge" I guess.
Thanks for the reply
Thanks for the reply