http://www.redmotion.com/#!black-mesa-main-page/c1pjg Link to Black Mesa Portfolio
http://www.redmotion.com/#!blackmesa-surgerybot/cspf Link to Surgery Bot page
I just wanted to post up info on something I did in Softimage quite a while ago (Summer 2010 I think) but has only now seen the light of day . The Surgery Bot from Questionable Ethics in the Black Mesa Mod (the tribute/re-make/reimagining/etc of the Valve original game Half Life).
I've not posted the video on this page incase you're someone waiting to see it how it's mean't to be seen - in game.
I did everything (modelling/hires/lowres/UVs/texturing/shaders/rigging/animation) on the Surgery bot except for the initial design/concept sketch. I had to split the model into two because the rig was too big to fit into a single game model. Took me several weeks of experimentation to get it to work well in game. Rigging and animating game assets is a major exercise in trial and error!
Any way, hope you enjoy taking a look.
I'll post a video showing the rig I used to animate the rocket window (also on the website) at some point in the future.
Cheers
Jason.