Proximity to objects problem

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Robert_XSI
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 09:59

Proximity to objects problem

Post by Robert_XSI » 12 Sep 2012, 11:32

Hi!

I have a sphere and a grid, and I want to make a proximity weight map on both meshes, but I have Cycle breaking problems when using ice trees on both the grid and the sphere, so it only works for one mesh at the same time. When I connect the second ice tree, it says Cycle breaking, and the icetree does not work properly.

Could you see this scene?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51409969/Softi ... bug_01.zip

Image


And I would like to emit particles on both meshes, so the particles will stick to the meshes, without constant flickering of their emittion places, when moving the meshes.
THX
Robert

ChrB
Posts: 55
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 11:26

Re: Proximity to objects problem

Post by ChrB » 12 Sep 2012, 14:42

For the sticking of the particles, try: |Get self.emitLocation| -> |Get .pointPosition| -> |Set self.pointPosition|

(Oh and ofc time varying has to be switched of in the emitter)
Arnold for the masses!

Robert_XSI
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 09:59

Re: Proximity to objects problem

Post by Robert_XSI » 12 Sep 2012, 15:59

ChrB wrote:For the sticking of the particles, try: |Get self.emitLocation| -> |Get .pointPosition| -> |Set self.pointPosition|

(Oh and ofc time varying has to be switched of in the emitter)
Thanks for your reply, I tried it before, but it only works when the weight map is not attached inside the emit from geometry - generate points - generate sample set compound filter attribute. :(

Cheers,
Robert

User avatar
Tekano
Posts: 488
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
Location: London, UK

Re: Proximity to objects problem

Post by Tekano » 13 Sep 2012, 02:00

Robert, there are a three questions here :)

1. The proximity map

2. the particles

3. cycle dependency bug



for 1. it does appear to work here in the attached scene, I don't know how you managed it or how it happens but it wasnt working because of that cycle dependency - but it was somehow linked to the vertex color map or the weight maps being used as emitters am not certain - this is a bug for support

for 2. I would do them like this then (attached scene) using filter by vertex color maps since there is a bug with weightmaps in this kind of setup 8-x if you try to filter by weightmap on particle emission that is.

for 3.
# WARNING : 3000 - **** Cycle breaking point sphere.polymsh.secondaryshapemarker
# WARNING : 3000 - Cycle through grid.polymsh.ICETree
# WARNING : 3000 - Cycle through sphere.polymsh.ICETree
# WARNING : 3000 - PROBLEMATIC EVALUATION CYCLES ARE IN THE SPECIFIED GRAPH

stopped when I did this
Application.DeleteObj("sphere.polymsh.cls.UV_Cluster_AUTO.Vertex_Color")
Application.SelectObj("sphere.polymsh.cls.UV_Cluster_AUTO", "", "")
Application.DeleteObj("sphere.polymsh.cls.UV_Cluster_AUTO")

and other things.. so not conclusive. but for sure its impossible to do it in the way you had setup. fortunately it appears that weightmaps are the problem here and they are easily circumnavigated by using vertex colors instead and looking up locations. a really nice tip is to set the material opengl vertex color to 'color' and it then uses any particle colors that have been set on points anyways Ive attached a working scene with all this in and a new compound 'filter by vertex color' :-bd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Robert_XSI
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 09:59

Re: Proximity to objects problem

Post by Robert_XSI » 13 Sep 2012, 09:29

Thanks a lot Tekano for the detailed explanation, I will have a look.