making real looking flowers

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
slowdive
Posts: 35
Joined: 07 Sep 2011, 20:52

making real looking flowers

Post by slowdive » 11 Sep 2012, 18:23

Hey guys, I wonder if anyone has done stuff like this?

I have a japanese anemone rigged and animated. Still needs some tweaks to adjust any leftover intersections.

The mesh itself is rigged and accompanied by deform shapes.

I have a basemesh in xsi and i want to make a Hi res mesh of the flower to replace onto the existing rigged model ( assuming such parameters can be copied)

the reason for the hi res is to be able to sculpt some nice curling and cuts into the flower shape.

and am having issues in terms of the workflow involved really, as I am kind of making it up as I go along. Some ideas were -



-just displacement or vector displacement.

-just the hi res geo entirely.

any ideas are really welcome as I am running out of them. This is my second time posting - so if I didnt put this in the right place my apologies.

:ymhug:

Stoehr
Posts: 1
Joined: 30 Aug 2012, 03:25

Re: making real looking flowers

Post by Stoehr » 13 Sep 2012, 03:42

I suppose the answer to you question is the limits of your hardware and time budget.

I would do the displacement method if you video is slow. I would go for the hi-res model so I could see the mesh as I'm working, to make better art direction decisions. Either method is the correct method, barring hardware and time limits.

slowdive
Posts: 35
Joined: 07 Sep 2011, 20:52

Re: making real looking flowers

Post by slowdive » 13 Feb 2013, 23:18

Stoehr wrote:I suppose the answer to you question is the limits of your hardware and time budget.

I would do the displacement method if you video is slow. I would go for the hi-res model so I could see the mesh as I'm working, to make better art direction decisions. Either method is the correct method, barring hardware and time limits.
I had some other things I was thinking about. Say there is a field of flowers, that open, then they end up acting as particles do. thats a big stretch but i figured id ask anyway. Itd be a bunch of copies that somehow had particle properties and once their basic animation finished, they fly off to the sunset as it were. So im thinking particle instancing. but there must be a more steps of course

Secondly, displacement? I don't see how that works (method), maybe there is something I don't know about what you had in mind?