Hello everyone,
I have a question about hair of a character. Basically what I'm doing is a character in his 50s, so his hair are not grey, but not black either, so I have to do a mix between them.
Honestly is the first time that I'm using the hair feature in Softimage, so I would like to know what is the best workflow.
In the end I need to have his beard greyish around the mouth area ( goatee ) and scattered grey hair along the rest of the beard ( meaning full beard ), while the "base" of the beard is black, so basically black hair with grey areas.
Same thing on the hair themself, black base, but with more grey hair scattered all around.
Is there a way to actually "paint" scattered grey hair/beard all around, or do I need to create like custers ( for example for the goatee ) and create small clusters on the head in order to mix them with the black hair?
Thanks ;)
Hair/Beard of a 50ys old man
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: Hair/Beard of a 50ys old man
as ever there are many ways to do this in Softimage. both for the hair creation and how each strand is shaded.
Take a look at controlling the color of hair / strands with a texture map applied to the face emitter.
it is also very easy to randomise a color with variation amounts. so you could define a percentage of black or white very easily in ICE.
Its also easy to paint weight maps on the face to influence the amount of color of the hair.
if you want to use the legacy hair (shave & haircut) then the shader has a two tip colors. black or white with a slider for balance between - simples , its all in the manuals
Take a look at controlling the color of hair / strands with a texture map applied to the face emitter.
it is also very easy to randomise a color with variation amounts. so you could define a percentage of black or white very easily in ICE.
Its also easy to paint weight maps on the face to influence the amount of color of the hair.
if you want to use the legacy hair (shave & haircut) then the shader has a two tip colors. black or white with a slider for balance between - simples , its all in the manuals
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
Nick3d
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 12:16
Re: Hair/Beard of a 50ys old man
Thats the beauty for SI, you can do the same thing in 40 different ways 
Since I'm not that good with ICE I was thinking to use the same emitter, one with more hair ( for the black ) and one with grey "scattered" hair and mix them together...
If it doesn't work I will try with a weightmap or the color variation ;)
Thanks
Since I'm not that good with ICE I was thinking to use the same emitter, one with more hair ( for the black ) and one with grey "scattered" hair and mix them together...
If it doesn't work I will try with a weightmap or the color variation ;)
Thanks
-
Kerro Perro
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
- Location: Leiden, the Netherlands
Re: Hair/Beard of a 50ys old man
Hey this is very OT but are you Nick Esposito from the Species mailing list? (I'm Nick Chrissis)
If so I really appreciate your mocap tests, do you maybe have a blog so i can follow them or maybe make a thread about it here?
If so I really appreciate your mocap tests, do you maybe have a blog so i can follow them or maybe make a thread about it here?
-
Nick3d
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 12:16
Re: Hair/Beard of a 50ys old man
Busted! Hey Nick, unfortunately no, I don't have a blog...and maybe its about time I create oneKerro Perro wrote:Hey this is very OT but are you Nick Esposito from the Species mailing list? (I'm Nick Chrissis)
If so I really appreciate your mocap tests, do you maybe have a blog so i can follow them or maybe make a thread about it here?
I suggest you to make a thread here so everyone can share their knowledge ;)
Right now I'm preparing my demo reel, so I will do lots of mocap tests, if you have any particular question just let me know!
-
Kerro Perro
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
- Location: Leiden, the Netherlands
Re: Hair/Beard of a 50ys old man
Funny a lot of people call me Chris because of my last last name but it's Nick like you ;)
Argh i might make a thread soon but i kinda have the same problem - i'm working on a short - that's why i appreciated you doing all the tests for me!
I'm still stuck on the modelling side but plan to use some kinect-mocap type workflow as well so when i get around to it i'll bother you then.
I do have some questions about the Species rig and correcting some ugly deforming around the thigh and knees by using shapes maybe but i will put that in a seperate thread as well.
To get back on topic: i would use melena and use strand color and randomize a few different colors in the black to gray spectrum, the tutorials about melena on vimeo should get you started with that http://vimeo.com/21726350 and this might be handy for shaping the beard: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1960 - but that's just my two cents and i'm no expert! ;)
Argh i might make a thread soon but i kinda have the same problem - i'm working on a short - that's why i appreciated you doing all the tests for me!
I'm still stuck on the modelling side but plan to use some kinect-mocap type workflow as well so when i get around to it i'll bother you then.
I do have some questions about the Species rig and correcting some ugly deforming around the thigh and knees by using shapes maybe but i will put that in a seperate thread as well.
To get back on topic: i would use melena and use strand color and randomize a few different colors in the black to gray spectrum, the tutorials about melena on vimeo should get you started with that http://vimeo.com/21726350 and this might be handy for shaping the beard: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1960 - but that's just my two cents and i'm no expert! ;)