Ragdoll

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
gaboraa
Posts: 317
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 21:14

Ragdoll

Post by gaboraa » 08 Sep 2012, 09:56

Hi all,

I need to apply a realistic death animation to a character and the only solution I came up with was using ragdolls but is there any tutorial or example for using ragdolls in SI or is it even possible in SI? I created the animation BTW but animating realistic ragdoll animation is a pain in the arse. Could someone point me to a right direction or should I use game engines for this:)
Last edited by gaboraa on 08 Sep 2012, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
gaboraa
Posts: 317
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 21:14

Re: Ragdoll

Post by gaboraa » 08 Sep 2012, 14:10

Thanks, I will check the given links.

Citadel
Posts: 4
Joined: 18 Jan 2010, 10:50

Re: Ragdoll

Post by Citadel » 19 Sep 2012, 13:34

I created a simple ragdoll system using basic Momentum tools. It was pretty straight forward to setup and rock solid.

Not trying to just show off my work but the system was used on all doll bodies, at around the 24 sec mark in this video:
https://vimeo.com/43102252

If you have Momentum, I can talk you though the process.

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Ragdoll

Post by Pancho » 19 Sep 2012, 15:20

Please. I'd love to get some hints on how to use Momentum for rag dolls.

Cheers

User avatar
gaboraa
Posts: 317
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 21:14

Re: Ragdoll

Post by gaboraa » 19 Sep 2012, 15:39

I accomplished to build a rag-doll using built-in dynamics system but further knowledge would be great if you could kindly share with us.

Citadel
Posts: 4
Joined: 18 Jan 2010, 10:50

Re: Ragdoll

Post by Citadel » 20 Sep 2012, 13:14

There really isn't anything fancy about the approach I took, I used basic Momentum tools, no ICE. If I were to rework the system, I'd implement Momentum through ICE for the flexibility to limit rotations etc. It was a really tight deadline so I had little time to experiment. That said:

I started with a passive mesh parented under a null for keyframing. I used 2 merged curves, added a momentum rope property and used them to link the Head collision mesh to the body mesh using anchors. When I attempted to link the Head to the body with a 'ball and socket' constraint, I couldn't find a way to limit the rotation in Y axis: resulting in a lot of spinning - the 2 curve approach worked as they pulled against each other and limited the rotation.

Shoulders and hips were the 2 curve method, arms and legs each had 'pivot' constraint - all linked in their respective hierarchy. The nice thing was all meshes bar the head mesh were active Momentum objects so their collision and self collision wasn't an issue. Finally I enveloped a dolls mesh to the collision objects.

These captures hopefully describe things more clearly:



I used Momentum through ICE for the inflate shot: