How do I modify cached simulated particles?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
kampffmeyer
Posts: 20
Joined: 31 Aug 2012, 08:35

How do I modify cached simulated particles?

Post by kampffmeyer » 03 Sep 2012, 08:28

Hey friends,
I've built a simulated ICE-tree for some spiraling particles. Because I want them to be emitted whenever the big green lines hit some objects.
Thatfore I cached the simulation of the spiraling and applied it to a new point cloud. In the AnimationMixer I placed and scaled the clips so the timing was right.
Plus, I resized the point cloud to fit the spiraling in the scene (it was way too big before!).
Now, because I resized it, it's barely visible in rendering!
Is there a possiblity to resize the particle size altough it is being read from cache? I want the spirals to look exactly like the animated line that "hits" some objects.

Another option I thought would be, if I don't cache the particles but simply copy my sprialing ice-tree to new point clouds and offset the starting time. But how to do this? I couldn't find a solution to this.

Thanks alot for your help!

Wolfram
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Tekano
Posts: 488
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
Location: London, UK

Re: How do I modify cached simulated particles?

Post by Tekano » 03 Sep 2012, 15:46

Wolfram,


if you are happy with you scaled and offset cached particle cloud and all you want to change is the size of each particle afterwards - then do this! you can apply a modelling ice tree after a cache (simulated ones wont work unless you use the cache on file node) and change the size (set particle size node) to whatever you want
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

kampffmeyer
Posts: 20
Joined: 31 Aug 2012, 08:35

Re: How do I modify cached simulated particles?

Post by kampffmeyer » 04 Sep 2012, 06:53

Dear Tekano,
thank you for your kind help!
Indeed it works to modify particle size with the modeling ice-tree. But unfortunately the scaled particles strands stay as thin as before and there doesn't seem to exist a "modify particle strand" node, does it?

Any other ideas?

Wolfram

User avatar
Tekano
Posts: 488
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
Location: London, UK

Re: How do I modify cached simulated particles?

Post by Tekano » 04 Sep 2012, 08:44

Wolfram, I am guessing here as cannot see what you are trying in your tree. but applying 'Strand size' on top of the cache should affect the strands in the same way as particle size affected the particles.

another approach if the sizes are different would be to 'get' Strand size then 'Multiply' by a scalar value then 'set' Strand size again.

hope that helps
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.