Improving the Interactive Creative Environment

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Improving the Interactive Creative Environment

Post by dwigfor » 30 Aug 2012, 15:41

I was curious what others thought could be improved with the ICE view.

Some ideas I've got:
* in search, you can't search for fragments of compound names. For instance, searching for "get size" will not locate "get particle size". This can make it hard locating a compound, and I think really frustrating for new users that don't yet know exactly what to search for.

* Displaying data being calculated: I wish there was a way to hover cursor over a connection, maybe press a sticky key, and get a popup window of the data generated. Its a pain to always go thru show values, change to numeric. And then you gotta offset it if theres other values already showing. I still cant figure out how to control those offsets. THANK YOU for being able to hide all show values... That saves a lot of frustration trying to clear those damn little icons.

* Displaying data entered into compounds. I wish there was a way to see the data entered into compound ppg on the node. Similar to how it shows what the vector is of a 3D vector (0,0,0). I wish you could see that on scalar to 3D Vector (show the scalar values out on the node). A lot of times, to make it easier to visually read the ICE trees, if I need to Add 1 to a value, I'll still create a scalar value (1) and connect that into the Add node, rather than just keeping it all on the Add node.

Whatcha think?

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Improving the Interactive Creative Environment

Post by xsisupport » 30 Aug 2012, 16:26

get * size
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage