Ferrari 599GT - Mental ray y Nuke

Comments on finished work
zao3d
Posts: 6
Joined: 27 Jun 2009, 10:19

Ferrari 599GT - Mental ray y Nuke

Post by zao3d » 22 Aug 2012, 21:05

Hi to all,

Long time ago that I dont post anything here. I finished few days ago a render. It is a personal project, for fun and practice. Rendered in mental ray and composed in Nuke, with the Bokeh plugin for DOF.

I hope that you like it.

Image

http://blog.zao3d.com
http://www.zao3d.com

Javier Vega

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Ferrari 599GT - Mental ray y Nuke

Post by ActionArt » 22 Aug 2012, 23:12

Very nice modeling! Just a personal thing for me, the DOF effect is way too intense. I makes the car look like a Hotwheels toy shot on a miniature model stage at macro settings. Unless, of course, that's what you wanted. :)

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Ferrari 599GT - Mental ray y Nuke

Post by Maximus » 22 Aug 2012, 23:44

I agree the DOF Is quite extreme, i also dont like the car paint shading, it looks like plastic, Ferrari has a unique car paint look.

julius
Posts: 248
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 08:56

Re: Ferrari 599GT - Mental ray y Nuke

Post by julius » 23 Aug 2012, 07:52

agree with the DOF. I think tires are too reflective, plastic like.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Ferrari 599GT - Mental ray y Nuke

Post by ActionArt » 23 Aug 2012, 12:36

For a show or shoot they often soak the tires in Armor All which looks a lot like that.

That Ferrari paint is a tough one to get just perfect. zao3d, are you using the carpaint shader? Not sure what the trick is to get that just right.

zao3d
Posts: 6
Joined: 27 Jun 2009, 10:19

Re: Ferrari 599GT - Mental ray y Nuke

Post by zao3d » 23 Aug 2012, 23:35

Hi again,

Thank you for the comments. Im agree about the DOF, because it is so intense. I will reduce it more. Anyway, I think that your advices are very good to improve the image. In that case this post is not "Finished Work". Now is a "WIP" because I will make some changes.
ActionArt wrote:For a show or shoot they often soak the tires in Armor All which looks a lot like that.

That Ferrari paint is a tough one to get just perfect. zao3d, are you using the carpaint shader? Not sure what the trick is to get that just right.
ActionArt, I am using the mia_architectural, but not the shader carpaint. I did some testing with carpaint but Ferrari paint is a bit special, I think so. Anyway, as I said before, I will do more tests now. When finished I will post pictures here.

Thank you all! Have a good weekend!

Javier Vega

http://www.zao3d.com
http://blog.zao3d.com

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Ferrari 599GT - Mental ray y Nuke

Post by ActionArt » 24 Aug 2012, 01:35

Best of luck! It may help to really study some top notch studio photos. I think the DOF effect should be almost imperceptible.

The carpaint shader allows for multiple specular levels which imitates multiple paint layers such as the base layer and clear coats. You might want to experiment with it a bit more.

Cheers! :-bd