Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by ActionArt » 21 Aug 2012, 03:28

Just wondering if anyone knows the real state of 3Delight development. It seems to come to a complete stop. They're sample page hasn't been updated since 2010 and the current version has many debilitating bugs which keeps me from switching to it permanently.

I was just about to buy a license, just waiting for a few aggravating (but not major) issues to be fixed but then development seemed to fade away.

There seems to be almost no action on their forum. This is a shame because I thought it was really promising.

Have they pretty much thrown in the towel? Is there not enough interest or revenue?

Can anyone cast a light on this situation?

kanenas
Posts: 2
Joined: 14 Feb 2012, 14:02

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by kanenas » 21 Aug 2012, 06:16

Maybe you looked at the wrong page. The latest update showed up last month on their free downloads (two months after the customers got it).

Here's the change log for 2012:

3.1.10 - 2012-05-15
Features
Timings in statistics now properly work in multi-threading.
Added a CAMERA tag that can be resolved in file names.

3.1.9 - 2012-04-30
Fixed version number problem in previous package.

3.1.8 - 2012-04-28
Fixed a memory leak.

3.1.7 - 2012-04-13 (DO NOT USE)
Accelerated ray-tracing of curves. Curves with many segments ray-trace twice as fast.

3.1.6 - 2012-04-12 (DO NOT USE)
Features
Fixed degradation of multi-threading performance with very dense scenes (such as scenes containing hair and fur).

3.1.5 - 2012-03-28
Features
Fur/Hair intensive render use 25% less memory.
Camera interest can be used in as the focal distance in depth of field parameters.
Shaders
added mib_color_alpha shader.

3.1.4 - 2012-03-06
Features
Subdivision surfaces take less memory and render faster.
Improved multi-threading of texture and point-clouds access.
Fixes
Fixed bug when Shadow Caster Switch dosent work properly with the shadow shader (#3437).
Fixed a problem when using dicing cameras and shadow maps (#3420).

3.1.3 - 2012-02-10
Features
Accelerated ray-tracing of curves.

3.1.2 - 2012-01-25
Features
Diffuse and specular intensity multipliers of light are animatable and not limited to 0-1 (#3481).
Fixes
3DFS Light properties can now be animated (#3480).
Fixed sub-samples properties of lights.
Fixed ambient in misss shaders, it wasn’t overridden by scene ambience.
Fixed point-based occlusion and GI on transparent objects. Transparent objects will now let light pass as they should.

3.1.1 - 2012-01-23
Features
Hugely accelerated baking stage. Speedups can reach 400% on multi-core machines.
Ability to use presets in co-shaders using shader annotations.
Add a lightsource property to multiply diffuse and specular intensity (#3453).
Fixes
Fixed AOVs. Basically, compositiing the standard AOVs together will lead to the correct “beauty” image.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Aug 2012, 09:14

I've renewed my license last month, also I'm playing with Matt Ebb's Blender to 3delight exporter. Imho the main advantage of this type of renderer is a Renderman shading language. Let's say, with some basic knowledge and a bit of willing to learn, it's possible to do a lot of own stuff. No need for C++, at least to some level.
Fancy design seems to be somewhat unusual, I don't believe the site design belongs to any member of dev team :)

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by ActionArt » 21 Aug 2012, 14:04

kanenas wrote:Maybe you looked at the wrong page.
Maybe I was. Just wondering since there was nothing posted since May. Then I saw a note on the website to the effect that the beta for 3 was over. I remember testing 3.1 and then 3.10 (other versions were not posted for the public) and none of the issues I was having were fixed, there was no response to the issues I posted on the forum, so I just kind of gave up on it.

I hope development is continuing (it's hard to tell from their site) because I think it was the best alternative of any renderer inside SI as far as integration.

Two of the most significant issues I was having were 3Delight was always converting textures to it's own format every time I did a test render no matter the settings (even though it had done it many times before) which of course is quite painful if you have a lot of large textures.

The volume rendering is not correct (or even close) and seems to be using the wrong scale values. Anyway, it was all posted on their forum to no response.

Too bad because I liked it a lot overall. I was hoping to switch to it for the majority of work but not as is. I'm hoping...

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by Maximus » 21 Aug 2012, 22:29

ActionArt wrote:
kanenas wrote:Maybe you looked at the wrong page.
Maybe I was. Just wondering since there was nothing posted since May. Then I saw a note on the website to the effect that the beta for 3 was over. I remember testing 3.1 and then 3.10 (other versions were not posted for the public) and none of the issues I was having were fixed, there was no response to the issues I posted on the forum, so I just kind of gave up on it.

I hope development is continuing (it's hard to tell from their site) because I think it was the best alternative of any renderer inside SI as far as integration.

Two of the most significant issues I was having were 3Delight was always converting textures to it's own format every time I did a test render no matter the settings (even though it had done it many times before) which of course is quite painful if you have a lot of large textures.

The volume rendering is not correct (or even close) and seems to be using the wrong scale values. Anyway, it was all posted on their forum to no response.

Too bad because I liked it a lot overall. I was hoping to switch to it for the majority of work but not as is. I'm hoping...
Happened to me too, even if the texture sync was set to off it kept converting them, quite annoying.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by ActionArt » 22 Aug 2012, 01:38

Maximus wrote:Happened to me too, even if the texture sync was set to off it kept converting them, quite annoying.
Yes, it's obviously just a simple tag that's not registering but the problem has been there for at least a year or more.

kanenas
Posts: 2
Joined: 14 Feb 2012, 14:02

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by kanenas » 23 Aug 2012, 06:24

It looks like either they forgot to code for it or it is done on purpose.
Maybe it's a hidden restriction on the free version (which is what I use).

BenR
Posts: 92
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:52

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by BenR » 24 Aug 2012, 04:10

kanenas wrote:It looks like either they forgot to code for it or it is done on purpose.
Maybe it's a hidden restriction on the free version (which is what I use).
Same thing happens on the paid version. I believe the only difference with the paid version is the number of cores you can use.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by ActionArt » 24 Aug 2012, 16:36

I posted again on their forum but no response yet. This is what worries me about continued development. Either they're very busy making it awesome and usable (which is fine) or they've wondered off and left it as is (which of course is disconcerting).

I hope it's the first :)

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by luceric » 24 Aug 2012, 20:36

ActionArt wrote:I was just about to buy a license, just waiting for a few aggravating (but not major) issues to be fixed but then development seemed to fade away.
in that case I would recommend mailing support directly instead of using the forum. http://www.3delight.com/en/index.php?page=contact

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by ActionArt » 24 Aug 2012, 20:43

Will do. Thanks.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by ActionArt » 29 Aug 2012, 19:12

It appears there may be a fix coming for this:
Unfortunately it was not an easy fix but we found a good solution for that should fix other problems as well (shader re-compilation for example).

The problem is to find a good way in Softimage to trap modifications that affect a certain aspect of rendering. For example, changing a 3DElight property can affect texture conversion (changing the output path is an example). We were tracking those events in a manner that is too coarse.

The next release of 3DFS will include this fix and it will be made public. Next release was scheduled for this week.

-- aghiles
Good news.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by ActionArt » 21 Sep 2012, 13:55

The 3Delight team has fixed the bug mentioned about and 3.1.17 is available for the public.

http://www.3delight.com/en/modules/PunB ... hp?id=3638

Very promising! Will have to test further...

Falam

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by Falam » 24 Sep 2012, 03:55

I have the demo of 3D Delight installed. I don't use it for one reason, and one reason only, it appears from my perspective I can't use the regular MR nodes and do what I usually do, I have to replace some of the MR nodes with 3D delight nodes, arghhh. I've begun to consider vRay, of the reason just posted, I've delayed that decision as well.

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by gustavoeb » 24 Sep 2012, 08:21

This are all different renderers that work in different ways. 3delight most of all. Myself, i rather 3delight had even more specific nodes instead of trying to convert everything MR does.
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Whatever happened to 3Delight?

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Sep 2012, 09:09

Falam wrote:I have the demo of 3D Delight installed. I don't use it for one reason, and one reason only, it appears from my perspective I can't use the regular MR nodes and do what I usually do, I have to replace some of the MR nodes with 3D delight nodes, arghhh.
well as far as I know, there is no any 3delight render tree node in OOTB plugin for SI, even it's possible to write 3dl specific node. BTW SI plugin is much more artist friendly than Maya one.