data per object but it execute per point?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Butachan
Posts: 23
Joined: 31 Jul 2012, 08:48

data per object but it execute per point?

Post by Butachan » 09 Aug 2012, 13:12

Hi everyone.
I was wondering if anyone can help me with this issue i am having.
As you can see in the attached file.
I am first creating an array of all my particles position who are my leadears in a per object context.
And I actually accomplish it. After the Get position and get array size the data is effectively an array per object and an integer per object and they all visualise fine without any problem.
However the Set data that connects to them execute on a per point basis. I assume this is because I am executing inside a state. But that will be fine with me. If all my particles have that infomation the better. The real problem appears in my second tree when I try to retrieve this information, which effectively appears as array per point and integer per point, there seem to be nothing there. even when I try to visualise it as numeric nothing appears at all.
Any idea what is wrong with this tree?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: data per object but it execute per point?

Post by xsisupport » 09 Aug 2012, 16:11

I recreated the first "execute every frame" branch in 2013SP1, and the Set Value attributes were per object.
(I used the Mass attribute instead of "FlockIsLeader")

If you're not seeing any values, I would step back up the branches and check the data going over each connection eg is FlockIsLeader valid? Are you getting a good index value out of that Randomize by Range node? and so on and so on.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Butachan
Posts: 23
Joined: 31 Jul 2012, 08:48

Re: data per object but it execute per point?

Post by Butachan » 09 Aug 2012, 19:55

xsisupport wrote:I recreated the first "execute every frame" branch in 2013SP1, and the Set Value attributes were per object.
(I used the Mass attribute instead of "FlockIsLeader")

If you're not seeing any values, I would step back up the branches and check the data going over each connection eg is FlockIsLeader valid? Are you getting a good index value out of that Randomize by Range node? and so on and so on.
Hi again Steve!
I manage to get it to work....I just replaced the set particle goal node and suddenly everything works peachy. So I assume it must have being some human error on my part at some point. The set Data however is still executing per point not per object. But that doesn't affect me much since the same array of positions and integer is contained in all the particles, that may even be usefull later on. The reason, I think, is because all the execute inputs on the state node appear as an execute per point input when i hover my mouse over them. So whenever i connect the set data it changes the context from per object to per point. Maybe this has something to do with the way states work? I will research later...

By the way you are right about the randomize by range. Effectively is giving me a problem. Basically the range of random integers go from -1 to max instead of 0 to max. I am pretty sure this is a simple issue to fix in the inner working of the node.

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: data per object but it execute per point?

Post by xsisupport » 09 Aug 2012, 20:39

Butachan wrote:
xsisupport wrote:I recreated the first "execute every frame" branch in 2013SP1, and the Set Value attributes were per object.
(I used the Mass attribute instead of "FlockIsLeader")

If you're not seeing any values, I would step back up the branches and check the data going over each connection eg is FlockIsLeader valid? Are you getting a good index value out of that Randomize by Range node? and so on and so on.
Hi again Steve!
I manage to get it to work....I just replaced the set particle goal node and suddenly everything works peachy. So I assume it must have being some human error on my part at some point. The set Data however is still executing per point not per object. But that doesn't affect me much since the same array of positions and integer is contained in all the particles, that may even be usefull later on. The reason, I think, is because all the execute inputs on the state node appear as an execute per point input when i hover my mouse over them. So whenever i connect the set data it changes the context from per object to per point. Maybe this has something to do with the way states work? I will research later...

By the way you are right about the randomize by range. Effectively is giving me a problem. Basically the range of random integers go from -1 to max instead of 0 to max. I am pretty sure this is a simple issue to fix in the inner working of the node.
Oh yeah, that's right: http://xsisupport.com/2012/06/12/randomize-values-by-range-and-integers
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage