(Source - Malware Warning! - XSIBase)fyi there isn't going to be an Advantage Pack for Softimage this year. The way we used to do it (have the development team adding some features mid year, plus we sometime had to do a service pack for that) diverts too much time and resources away from the yearly release. Also, the work for Suite is complete for now.
No 2013 Advantage Pack
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
No 2013 Advantage Pack
Over at the XSIBase, mister Rousseau shared the following bit of fascinating news...

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
Finally, someone admits it was a bad idea to begin with. Never thought they could make such a decision on single application level only. Of course, it could also mean various other things which i'm kinda not in the mood to discuss any more so here's hopping a yearly release actually justifies it.
cheers
cheers
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
Yeap makes sense, takes a lot of pressure also from the new team. Hoping for some sort of reassuring signs though until the 2014 release 
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
ace63
- Posts: 176
- Joined: 07 Jun 2009, 10:30
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
This is actually great news.
I'd rather have a great release every 1 or 2 years than a crappy one every 6 months.
I'd rather have a great release every 1 or 2 years than a crappy one every 6 months.
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
If only those were the only 2 scenarios.ace63 wrote:This is actually great news.
I'd rather have a great release every 1 or 2 years than a crappy one every 6 months.
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
hmmph so thats how we hear Softimage related news these days. from a Maya developer on a malware ridden site - then third hand from someone brave enough to visit - thanks to Hirazi keeping us updated!
please correct me if Im wrong but Ive yet to see / hear anything that these new developers are working on apart from bug fixing.
please correct me if Im wrong but Ive yet to see / hear anything that these new developers are working on apart from bug fixing.
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
Autodesk don't normally post news like this, as essentially there is no news. Its rare that corporations make an announcement about something they're not doing, lol. Besides with Siggraph literally around the corner, there probably might be some more bits and bobs of news to come anyway.
As for the SAPs, they're kinda optional really and its not the first time that a product hasn't had on in recent years, Motionbuilder didn't get an SAP release for 2012 (and 2011 - I think). It simply wasn't worth it. I for one don't mind the SAPs, or extension releases as I kinda call them, but as long as they're worth doing. If there's only bug fixes, then I would like to see more hotfixes/service packs released, if possible.
As for what the teams are working on, again that comes under our old clause of not divulging roadmaps and future development, same as it is for Maya, Max, Mobu Mudbox, et al. But I am working on trying to get more information presented, but that might have to be for pvt meetings and not for posting to a public forum such as this.
As for the SAPs, they're kinda optional really and its not the first time that a product hasn't had on in recent years, Motionbuilder didn't get an SAP release for 2012 (and 2011 - I think). It simply wasn't worth it. I for one don't mind the SAPs, or extension releases as I kinda call them, but as long as they're worth doing. If there's only bug fixes, then I would like to see more hotfixes/service packs released, if possible.
As for what the teams are working on, again that comes under our old clause of not divulging roadmaps and future development, same as it is for Maya, Max, Mobu Mudbox, et al. But I am working on trying to get more information presented, but that might have to be for pvt meetings and not for posting to a public forum such as this.
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
calling you out on this one Bellsey - untrue. see hereBellsey wrote: As for what the teams are working on, again that comes under our old clause of not divulging roadmaps and future development, same as it is for Maya, Max, Mobu Mudbox, et al. .
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marcel/m ... gy-preview
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/craig/te ... 24hd-touch
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
true enough, but I think there can difference between previews such as these and actual roadmaps and features. There's no guarantee that any of what's being show will appear in a product and when it will do so. These types of previews are not new, Autodesk has a whole site showing stuff they're working on: http://labs.autodesk.com/
Besides I did some tech previews and no one liked them, so why should I/we bother?
Besides I did some tech previews and no one liked them, so why should I/we bother?
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
yes, but at the very least we can see *something* is being researched regarding the product - its better than nothing. Also, don't be too hard on yourself, I don't remember seeing any of your technology previews for Softimage are they online anywhere? So that will be some folks didn't like them not everybody.
I vaguely remember some posts on here concerning new features videos you posted a while back and most of the negative comments were based upon Autodesk being a billion dollar profit corporation yet they are so tight they refuse to pay for web developers or demo artist material. Thats hardly your fault.
I vaguely remember some posts on here concerning new features videos you posted a while back and most of the negative comments were based upon Autodesk being a billion dollar profit corporation yet they are so tight they refuse to pay for web developers or demo artist material. Thats hardly your fault.
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
I'm just hoping that the next release, whenever it is, has something significant in it.
To be honest, the last one for me made as much of a step forward as going onto rray.de and grabbing a few plugins. A few years ago we got GATOR, REFERENCE MODELS, ICE etc as upgrades
now we get incremental changes to Gator, and stuff made IN Ice.
I cant help but occasionally succumbing to the pointless lamenting of the absence of all the cool stuff that we would have had by now if Softimage were still in the reigns of a team with a burning incentive to kick Maya's ass.
To be honest, the last one for me made as much of a step forward as going onto rray.de and grabbing a few plugins. A few years ago we got GATOR, REFERENCE MODELS, ICE etc as upgrades
now we get incremental changes to Gator, and stuff made IN Ice.
I cant help but occasionally succumbing to the pointless lamenting of the absence of all the cool stuff that we would have had by now if Softimage were still in the reigns of a team with a burning incentive to kick Maya's ass.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
Yeah, I know what you mean, but I think the problem is that there's lots of stuff being worked on, but its not always in a state to show, and sometimes its not 'sexy' enough for people. People have such various expectations of what a 'feature' actually is, that its just impossible to please people.Tekano wrote:yes, but at the very least we can see *something* is being researched regarding the product - its better than nothing. Also, don't be too hard on yourself, I don't remember seeing any of your technology previews for Softimage are they online anywhere? So that will be some folks didn't like them not everybody.
I vaguely remember some posts on here concerning new features videos you posted a while back and most of the negative comments were based upon Autodesk being a billion dollar profit corporation yet they are so tight they refuse to pay for web developers or demo artist material. Thats hardly your fault.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
To me this looks like an excuse for AD to release even less. Most SAP's to me seemed like nice third party addons like Lagoa. I don't see how that distracted a lot from the core development.
I suspect the regular yearly release will be much the same as it has been or even less, minus the SAP.
Autodesk's one and only goal (like any big corp) is to release as little as possible without losing significant user base. This seems like a calculated step in that direction. They don't have to pay any third party developer to put something in the SAP while keeping the subscription price as is or higher.
Nice going AD.
I suspect the regular yearly release will be much the same as it has been or even less, minus the SAP.
Autodesk's one and only goal (like any big corp) is to release as little as possible without losing significant user base. This seems like a calculated step in that direction. They don't have to pay any third party developer to put something in the SAP while keeping the subscription price as is or higher.
Nice going AD.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
Three 3d apps with their own strengths, being bundled.
It's not hard to see the strong parts of each app are extended/updated, so you still want to have all three apps.
Sometimes Blender starts to look really interesting.....
It's not hard to see the strong parts of each app are extended/updated, so you still want to have all three apps.
Sometimes Blender starts to look really interesting.....
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
Coral is great also, the code is so clean, Andrea used new features of C++11, OpenGL 3 core profile and modern multithreading libraries so it's even faster than ICE. I trying to compile it right now so if someone interested in the last build under windows you can pm me and I send you a copy of it as soon as I finish it.Rork wrote:Sometimes Blender starts to look really interesting.....
Oh, and yea, fully agree with Len (ActionArt)
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: No 2013 Advantage Pack
There were only two SAP ever made for Softimage. The one with Lagoa, 2011 SAP, was a big release that almost crushed 2012. It only occured as an SAP because the Suite were being launched in September that year. As a result of it, we were left with only 3 month to do ICE modeling, and dropped features including support for Curves and NURBS. 2012 SAP contained no third party plug-in.ActionArt wrote:To me this looks like an excuse for AD to release even less. Most SAP's to me seemed like nice third party addons like Lagoa. I don't see how that distracted a lot from the core development.
In Softimage 2012 SAP, you got a basic bullet implementation, which of course has to be done by the core developers, who then couldn't help with other ICE project such as Crowd. All the features in 2012 SAP were done by core developers.
you know, the release cycles at Avid was 14-18 months... Now you're saying Autodesk is evil for not pushing for 6 month release updates.. I guess we must have been really evil at Avid! you would never have gotten ICE on this type of three month dev cycles, with the dev contantly jumping on the latest emergency, which is exactly what happens when you're shipping point releases.