Script text to viewport?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Script text to viewport?
I am looking for a way to let my Python script display (as in: write) certain parameter values at more or less arbitrary position within a 3D viewport (let’s say for instance at the center of an object, for instance). Long ago there was a plug-in named xUI, which would have enabled me to do just that, were it not for the sad fact that it was never compiled for x64 (and quietly vanished from the author's website). Now I am looking for some simple solution that allows me to call a (C++ based) plug-in command some text and a little extra info, like where to put the text (and maybe even minimal formatting info), from the wonderful world of Python. I know not nearly enough about C++ and OpenGL to dare contemplating to write such a plug-in myself, so any help is very much appreciated.

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
AceMastermind
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 22:57
Re: Script text to viewport?
Here's the xUI plugin you mentioned in case anyone is looking for it.
Information:
http://web.archive.org/web/200906072044 ... m/xUI.html
Local backup:
Information:
http://web.archive.org/web/200906072044 ... m/xUI.html
Local backup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Script text to viewport?
Another "starting point" could be the XGS_Slate plugin (which includes sources). Built for XSI 4.2, just tested, at 1st glance looks like it's still working (compiled with VS Express 2008 in 64 bit)!
Text position settings etc are in the custom preferences.
Text position settings etc are in the custom preferences.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Script text to viewport?
Thanks, that actually does work and should prove a workable solution for my current task
I had not looked at XSG_Slate because I could only find a 32-bit version. I assume you did the recompiling yourself? Is such an endeavor very complicated?
I had not looked at XSG_Slate because I could only find a 32-bit version. I assume you did the recompiling yourself? Is such an endeavor very complicated?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Script text to viewport?
Setting up VSExpress for 64bit compiling was pretty complicated but did that years ago already.. took a few hours. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1865 ... 10-express
Compiling this was a matter of 10-15 minutes, googling missing opengl includes, updating the project paths, and finally fixing a few simple compiling errors that popped up because they used a diffrerent compiler.
Compiling this was a matter of 10-15 minutes, googling missing opengl includes, updating the project paths, and finally fixing a few simple compiling errors that popped up because they used a diffrerent compiler.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
AceMastermind
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 22:57
Re: Script text to viewport?
I stumbled across this on Vimeo which might also be helpful, seems pretty thorough:
Using VS 2010 Express to compile 64bit plugins for Softimage
Using VS 2010 Express to compile 64bit plugins for Softimage