Entropy Studio acquires Arnold Renderer

News concerning 3D DCC business
pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Entropy Studio acquires Arnold Renderer

Post by pluMmet » 20 Jul 2012, 18:20

Is this just another company that uses Arnold Renderer or is it like it sounds that Entropy Studio bought Arnold Renderer?

http://www.entropystudio.net/post/22-en ... d-renderer

Arnold is a global illumination system incorporating modern ray tracing and physically based shading techniques. Arnold offers greater speed, more power and higher quality. This gives studios using Arnold a distinct competitive advantage – especially in big-budget productions.

Over the past few years, Arnold has been used to create unique visual effects in major VFX feature films, animated features, and high-end commercial projects. Sony Pictures Imageworks was the catalyst for the professional adoption of the product and will use Arnold in all upcoming films.

Spaniard Marcos Fajardo is the chief architect of Arnold. The skeleton of what was to become Arnold was started in 1997, when Fajardo was 24. He joined Sony Pictures Imageworks between 2004 and 2009 to develop new system capabilities while maintaining ownership of the software itself. In 2009, Fajardo founded Solid Angle SL in Madrid to house Arnold’s further growth.

Solid Angle has chosen to work “from the top studios down” in a deliberate attempt to manage growth and maintain relationships with high-end partners. The company values its customers and provides a high level of ongoing support. Entropy Studio will be one of the first to integrate Arnold into its current systems which will dramatically enhance their production render capabilities.

The name of the software has a unique origin. In many respects, Arnold is an API that allows programs to access it for rendering models and animations created up stream in the process. Thus Arnold was initially called RenderAPI. But in 1999, Fajardo went with two friends to an Arnold Schwarzenegger film, End of Days. Fajardo’s friends imitated Arnold’s Austrian accent from the rear of the theater making the audience laugh. One of his friends suggested he rename his software “Arnold” as a joke. Fajardo says, “So I thought – what the Hell – I will call it Arnold. I did expect to change it but I never did.”

Arnold has been used on many films including Thor, Captain America, The Avengers, Alice In Wonderland, X-Men: First Class, Red Tails,Underworld: Awakening and in several award winning commercials.

edit by owei: PLEASE USE URL TAGS!! THANKS!

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: Entropy Studio acquires Arnold Renderer

Post by SreckoM » 20 Jul 2012, 19:04

Another company that started using Arnold.
- H -

scaron
Posts: 119
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 03:16

Re: Entropy Studio acquires Arnold Renderer

Post by scaron » 20 Jul 2012, 21:11

entropy studio is far from the first to use arnold. *unless they have been using it for a long time and this is just a silly press release*

steven

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Entropy Studio acquires Arnold Renderer

Post by EricTRocks » 20 Jul 2012, 23:25

Very poor choice of words. Acquire automatically makes people think of company buy outs.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Entropy Studio acquires Arnold Renderer

Post by pluMmet » 21 Jul 2012, 11:48

Well, I can understand their excitement. Considering how hard it is to get Solid Angle to give you a license I might make a big production out of getting one too 3:-O

Image

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Entropy Studio acquires Arnold Renderer

Post by EricTRocks » 21 Jul 2012, 12:00

How is it hard? You pay for the licenses, you get licenses.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Entropy Studio acquires Arnold Renderer

Post by pluMmet » 21 Jul 2012, 18:40

EricTRocks wrote:How is it hard? You pay for the licenses, you get licenses.

I've offered (asked) to purchase twice in the past year and it's never been accepted.

If you know a way that I can purchase a license I'm all ears

Image

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Entropy Studio acquires Arnold Renderer

Post by EricTRocks » 21 Jul 2012, 23:10

One license or their minimum of 5?
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

pluMmet
Posts: 217
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
Skype: bigcuberight

Re: Entropy Studio acquires Arnold Renderer

Post by pluMmet » 22 Jul 2012, 00:10

EricTRocks wrote:One license or their minimum of 5?

Wow! Thank you... I was never made aware of that being a contingency that would smooth the process.

I had seen someone asking for people to join them in the process but I did not know it was such a solid number.

As I am in the process of expanding my business I will keep that as a goal in order to use Arnold.

Happiness :D

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Entropy Studio acquires Arnold Renderer

Post by EricTRocks » 22 Jul 2012, 01:47

Not sure it will smooth the process but last I heard that was the minimum that you could purchase. Also I don't believe they will allow for separate people pooling together to get the 5 either as that would require multiple licenses. Definitely email Solid Angle and get the full scoop though.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken