Comments on work in progress
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 10 Jul 2012, 14:14
Here's a project I'm working on with pilot Don Laubman who shot down 15 enemy fighters during his career. This was his first and he shot it down at very low level.
I've done 3 variations and I'm trying to decide which I like better. Any comments/ideas/crits most welcome of course. Cheers!
Higher-res links:
http://www.actionart.ca/ForumPics/DonT3a.jpg
http://www.actionart.ca/ForumPics/DonT3b.jpg
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 10 Jul 2012, 15:17
Probably stupid question: What should the "fiery swirl" in the right-side background represent? In neither version it seems very convincing ATM, somehow it doesn't seem to "gel" (?) with the rest of the image...

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 10 Jul 2012, 15:21
He's made a few hits on the aircraft in front, the flame would be from a fuel tank being hit and then flying though it, which was common. I am debating whether to use it or not.
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Post
by Maximus » 10 Jul 2012, 16:11
I like it, the only crit i'd made is the grass color, being a little too much, maybe add some variation and lower a little the saturation it kinda gives away the "fake" look

Great work!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 10 Jul 2012, 21:27
Thanks Maximus, yes, the grass (crop) in the field might be a bit rich.
What's your opinion on the fire in the background?
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Post
by Daniel Brassard » 11 Jul 2012, 03:04
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 11 Jul 2012, 03:19
Thanks for the great reference pics! You're right, it needs a bit more. I remember watching some raw footage they shot for Pearl Harbor and it was quite dramatic. I'll have to dig that up too.
It seems the consensus is the fire is a bit much/doesn't look right so I think I'll end up going with a variation of the last one.
I'm still waiting to hear from the pilot himself so that'll influence it.
-
mattmos
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59
Post
by mattmos » 11 Jul 2012, 09:56
Nice work. Couple of crits:
It doesn't really feel like the lighting of the ground matches the sky - the sunset suggests a lower sun and also the sun is further round behind the craft. So you might have to make a decision to change the sky, or lose the nicely positioned shadow on the ground and change the lighting.
The greens are a bit oversaturated, and the grass is too thin near the screen - either use a texture map to fake it or a weightmap to drive density? Or change the grey colour underneath for a more muddy/earthy texture maybe?
The flame does feel a bit distracting to the overall image.
I like the composition a lot, very dramatic and involving.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 11 Jul 2012, 15:06
Thanks mattmos! You've got sharp eyes, I think you're the first to notice the lighting angles are a little bit off. I think I'll live with it though. The shadow is essential as an indicator of how high (or low) the aircraft is and I like it's placement. The angle is also ideal for the key light on the aircraft. When I shot the reference photo I used for the background the sun was actually higher than it may seem so it's not too far off. I really like the look of the sky which is hugely important. In this case I think the artistic look is more important that absolute accuracy on the light angle. Thanks for pointing it out though.
The grass (new crop in the field, probably not actually grass) is thinner on the edge on purpose (weight map). It's on the other side of the fence near a road and also wanted a clear place for the pilot signatures at the bottom. I guess I should check the average color of farm soil in France! I'm just going by what a field looks like here but that might be very wrong ;)
Thanks!
PS - I should mention I'm using the very handy Zybrand grass, I love it!
Edit: Looks like my dirt color is off for typical France (at least the references I can find). Damn! Should have thought of that sooner...
-
Zybrand
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 07:04
- Skype: Zybrand
Post
by Zybrand » 11 Jul 2012, 16:15
Great work! really liking it
maybe it you warm up the light a bit to look more like sunset the light angle won't matter as much anymore.
PS: new version of the grass compounds coming soon.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 16 Jul 2012, 15:43
Here's the latest:
and higher-res:
http://www.actionart.ca/ForumPics/DonT4b.jpg
Thanks to mattmos, I've got a bit more realistic ground color and I hope the grass color saturation is bit better. The pilot really liked the fire flash he flew through so I worked on that a bit to get it to blend better. He said it "looked just like it" so I'll go with that, him seeing it first hand and all. It's a bit distracting perhaps but dramatic too.
I gave the smoke a bit more twist like Dan suggested but I found if I went too far it looked a bit odd, maybe being that close to the ground has something to do with it.
I'm supposed to take a print to the pilot for signing this weekend so this is close to as done as it's going to get
Thanks to everyone for the help!

-
mattmos
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59
Post
by mattmos » 17 Jul 2012, 09:21
Lighting definitely feels more unified in this one, I like the slightly darker aspect, kind of vignette around the action. Only thing I think I'd add is some very slight directional blur on the fire itself (he's flying through it right?). Nice job!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 17 Jul 2012, 13:32
You're right. Thanks!

Last edited by ActionArt on 24 Jul 2012, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Post
by ActionArt » 24 Jul 2012, 14:01
Worked on the lighting a bit more with this one along with some work on the AO pass. I think the grass/crop looks better now and I can see the fence which was getting lost before. Still working on the fire blur. Not getting the results I want as easily as I thought...
http://www.actionart.ca/ForumPics/DonT6b.jpg