DW_2 Bone IK With UpVector

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

DW_2 Bone IK With UpVectorAuthor: David Wigforss
Here's an ICE 2 Bone IK chain with UV support that I've been working on for a while. I think I've got it stable now (no weird flipping). If you've got ideas to maybe optimize or expand this, I'd love to hear it.

I'll try to make a video sometime, but in the meantime hopefully you can follow my screenshot. First I create 4 nulls and 2 implicit bones. 2 of the nulls are the root and effector controllers, 1 of the nulls is the Up Vector controller, and 1 of the nulls is for the ICE rig. I had problems with reference names, that's why you see the same name in the screenshot.
[..]

Continue reading in the si-community thread linked to below.

local backup: DW_2 Bone IK With UV.1.1.xsicompound

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

DW_2 Bone IK With UpVector

Post by dwigfor » 06 Jul 2012, 23:06

Here's an ICE 2 Bone IK chain with UV support that I've been working on for a while. I think I've got it stable now (no weird flipping). If you've got ideas to maybe optimize or expand this, I'd love to hear it.

I'll try to make a video sometime, but in the meantime hopefully you can follow my screenshot. First I create 4 nulls and 2 implicit bones. 2 of the nulls are the root and effector controllers, 1 of the nulls is the Up Vector controller, and 1 of the nulls is for the ICE rig. I had problems with reference names, that's why you see the same name in the screenshot. Make sure to update both names with your own names. To calculate the bone lengths, I first create a temp 2 bone chain (Animate/Create/Skeleton/Draw 2D Chain) and get the lengths from that. Occasionally ICE fails to update the bone lengths of the implicit bones. To set the correct length, temporarily Show Values between Get Rig.L_Thigh_Length and self.length. Seems to fix it for me.

Let me know what you think!
-Dave

Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dwigfor on 17 Jul 2012, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: DW_2 Bone IK With UV

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Jul 2012, 08:34

Thanks for that... :ymhug:
I am, however, quite possibly (or rather: probably!) missing something obvious here,
but why would a bone need UV support?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: DW_2 Bone IK With UV

Post by dwigfor » 07 Jul 2012, 09:19

Upvector, as in elbow/knee roll. :)

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: DW_2 Bone IK With UV

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Jul 2012, 09:23

Oops, wrong "UV" :ymblushing:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
AceMastermind
Posts: 161
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 22:57

Re: DW_2 Bone IK With UV

Post by AceMastermind » 07 Jul 2012, 17:19

Hirazi Blue wrote:but why would a bone need UV support?
I was thinking the same thing when I first read the title, maybe it should be changed to "Up Vector" instead to avoid further confusion. :)

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: DW_2 Bone IK With UV

Post by dwigfor » 09 Jul 2012, 02:44

How do you name, for example, your Right leg's up vector controller?

Anyone gotten a chance to try it out? Any ideas how to organize the Reference name stuff better?