Read all about it here, where you can also find a download link....
SDK Guide as CHM
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
SDK Guide as CHM
Stephen Blair (finally) compiled a chm of the SDK documentation.
Read all about it here, where you can also find a download link....

Read all about it here, where you can also find a download link....
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
afg
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 07 Jul 2012, 19:56
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
It's certainly awesome and I don't want to diminish anyone's work on this but I think it should be made more clear that this as well as the offline html documentation contains user tracking in every page. It identifies you with google-analytics and thus it is not clear what else is possible. Theoretically this information could be matched with what else Google knows about you like your complete search history and the Google tracked pages you visit (that is the majority of sites these days).
Just be aware of that and, of course, do as you please.
Just be aware of that and, of course, do as you please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
but... but... even in incognito mode??? <Get's tinfoil hat out of drawer.....>
Before we all burst into Illuminati discussions, this is probably just a way to monitor the way the manuals are accessed.
What parts are important to people, and what parts are less.
And if you want your privacy, stay off the grid
Before we all burst into Illuminati discussions, this is probably just a way to monitor the way the manuals are accessed.
What parts are important to people, and what parts are less.
And if you want your privacy, stay off the grid
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
afg
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 07 Jul 2012, 19:56
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
It's just not very obvious to everyone. That's why I said be aware of it and do as you please.
Staying off autodesk's grid is exactly what *I* want! What you decide is left to you.
Staying off autodesk's grid is exactly what *I* want! What you decide is left to you.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
wouldn't it be better than to use something not AD? ;-)
When on the web, stuff is collected all the time. I appreciate the tip, but I need a manual once in a while.
Or unplug when using the CHM, and replug into the web when done?
just teasing...
When on the web, stuff is collected all the time. I appreciate the tip, but I need a manual once in a while.
Or unplug when using the CHM, and replug into the web when done?
just teasing...
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
I didn't know this (so thanks for the heads-up), but can't say I'm shocked now that I do. Autodesk is Autodesk is Autodesk is... In the case of the documentation I, however, wonder, what they can really do with the data they gather this way. Usage of the docs more often than not doesn't say anything about usage of certain features. The stuff you hardly use would typically be the stuff you consult the docs for.
But, having said that, I somehow doubt, the Analytics stuff was left in the off-line docs and the CHM version intentionally. These probably are merely 1:1 copies of the on-line original (unwanted "harmful code" included).
;)
(edit: joke removed)
But, having said that, I somehow doubt, the Analytics stuff was left in the off-line docs and the CHM version intentionally. These probably are merely 1:1 copies of the on-line original (unwanted "harmful code" included).
;)
(edit: joke removed)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
afg
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 07 Jul 2012, 19:56
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
It would be better to have the choice whether I want to be tracked or not. I already paid for my license a while ago and this behavior was introduced during my subscription. Unless you are going to refund me, which I believe is out of your capabilities, I have to stick to complaining.Rork wrote:wouldn't it be better than to use something not AD? ;-)
This level of fatalism and helplessness is an interesting realization. Something to be proud of? Really? Anyway, I will keep it in mind. Thanks for your feedback.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
Sorry, but while your attitude towards being tracked by Autodesk is understandable, I think people also should have the right to shrug it off as being "just Autodesk doing its thing". What you call "fatalism and helplessness", I personally see as a certain amount of cynicism that sadly has to go with the territory when dealing with a behemoth like Autodesk. Let's face it: a company of that size and influence does do a lot of things that aren't necessarily client-friendly. I think, however, we all have quite a good idea what taking Autodesk to court on a perfectly correct principle would mean (in that it would be a long, expensive and arduous quest, with no assurance of success).
And most of us dare not go there...
That's, however, no reason NOT to complain BTW, you're free to do so! ;)
And most of us dare not go there...
That's, however, no reason NOT to complain BTW, you're free to do so! ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
there is a webpage with the autodesk privacy policy, and the who to contact for questions. http://usa.autodesk.com/privacy/
-
afg
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 07 Jul 2012, 19:56
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
@Hirazi: Yes, I agree with the cynicism part but Rork went a bit over the top IMO. I certainly feel how tiring it is to go against the loss of privacy at every corner. Yet, for me it was another level to find tracking in the offline documentation.
With court you mean literally legal court? Not that I meant to imply that but also agreed. I think a text editor like Notepad++ with search and replace for directories on the html docs would have a higher success rate.
@luceric: Thanks for the link. It was not really the question whether this is backed up by a keeping all options open legal document and a call center. It's more that not many are aware of what it means in practice. Would you feel comfortable if I install tracking software on your machine? Creepy, isn't it?
With court you mean literally legal court? Not that I meant to imply that but also agreed. I think a text editor like Notepad++ with search and replace for directories on the html docs would have a higher success rate.
@luceric: Thanks for the link. It was not really the question whether this is backed up by a keeping all options open legal document and a call center. It's more that not many are aware of what it means in practice. Would you feel comfortable if I install tracking software on your machine? Creepy, isn't it?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
You know about the so-called opt-out for Google Analytics browser plugins?
They are, however, provided by Google themselves, so I don't know to what extent you can trust them...
;)
They are, however, provided by Google themselves, so I don't know to what extent you can trust them...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
afg
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 07 Jul 2012, 19:56
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
No I didn't. Opted for opting out. Thanks man.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
my point was that you can ask them what data is logged, and if you can opt out. (it seems to be an error that it's in the downloadable help, however)afg wrote:@luceric: Thanks for the link. It was not really the question whether this is backed up by a keeping all options open legal document and a call center. It's more that not many are aware of what it means in practice. Would you feel comfortable if I install tracking software on your machine? Creepy, isn't it?
You suggested that it was "technically possible" that Autodesk accesses your web history or tracked out across site.. I believe this is false, but they should be able to answer that officially. You can see what they reply. Autodesk has strict customer data privacy rules and all employee have required training every year about these issues. Even things like the automatic customer information in crash report is encrypted and not accessible to regular employees.
-
afg
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 07 Jul 2012, 19:56
Re: SDK Guide as CHM
OK, got you. Removing it myself is the best route for now but I'll check it out. Thanks for the reply!