Shadow Problem With Normal Map ?

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
eternal art
Posts: 93
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 20:48
Location: UAE - Abu Dhabi

Shadow Problem With Normal Map ?

Post by eternal art » 06 Jun 2012, 14:04

Hi guys ...
I've a character with normal map apply it to it from zbrush , everything work fine , except some random artifact in shadow area
see the attachment images :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3D Supervisor - Production House .

Jesse
Posts: 30
Joined: 18 Jun 2009, 19:51

Re: Shadow Problem With Normal Map ?

Post by Jesse » 06 Jun 2012, 15:49

Not sure if this will help at all, but occasionally I find the tangent map that the ultimapper creates to be better than the one the normal map node can build for some reason. To try it apply the ultimapper property to the object and then it'll just auto apply itself, select the new tangent in the drop down menu of the normal map node.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Shadow Problem With Normal Map ?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Jun 2012, 17:40

One thing I have noticed from the forums (like in ctedin's post in this XSIBase thread) is that you apparently have to turn off both "unbiased normal map" and "unbiased tangents" to successfully use normal maps from ZBrush. As I don't own ZBrush this is however "borrowed" knowledge, I have no way of checking, and I am not sure, if it will help with your actual current problem...
:-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
eternal art
Posts: 93
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 20:48
Location: UAE - Abu Dhabi

Re: Shadow Problem With Normal Map ?

Post by eternal art » 08 Jun 2012, 09:49

Hey guys .
Thanks for reply , but both solution doesn't solve the problem .
Is there anyone here successful used a zbrush normal map in softimage without this artifact in shadow ?
3D Supervisor - Production House .