Mr renders only a fraction of hairs

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Mr renders only a fraction of hairs

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 11 May 2012, 11:50

I tried to search the forum for post regarding this issue but:

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: hair render."

Very helpful for a CG forum.... :p

Anyway, I noticed mental ray and vray render only a fraction of the displayed render hair, or the number of displayed render hair is incorrect. This happens in 2012 as well in 2013. No cutmap or density map applied.
hair_problem.jpg
Is there any parameter that could limit the number of rendered hair other than in the hair operator?
Testscene is a simple poly sphere with default hair-OP and mr hairshader.

Achim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Mr renders only a fraction of hairs

Post by Maximus » 11 May 2012, 13:33

it is probably the low antialias value, try to crank it up.

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Mr renders only a fraction of hairs

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 11 May 2012, 17:22

Maximus wrote:it is probably the low antialias value, try to crank it up.
I tried that already, doesn´t help. Also it´s the same with vray.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Mr renders only a fraction of hairs

Post by xsisupport » 11 May 2012, 18:57

Seems to me that it's the hairs on the back side of the sphere are the ones not showing up.
Switch the view to constant or shaded or hidden line removal.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Mr renders only a fraction of hairs

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 12 May 2012, 10:51

xsisupport wrote:Seems to me that it's the hairs on the back side of the sphere are the ones not showing up.
Switch the view to constant or shaded or hidden line removal.

Oops, well in this case you´re right, my fault. I was too quick preparing the screenshot.
The original problem is this:
hair multiplicity.jpg
This is a vray rendering. There seem to be some values of the multiplicity parameter that causes hair to disappear in the rendering. MR tends to crash when I´m fiddeling around with the multiplicity value, having a render region open.

Achim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Mr renders only a fraction of hairs

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 12 May 2012, 12:23

Hair multiplicity shows even more strange behaviors.
I noticed the fur I was creating startet to get patchy and irregular once I turned up the multiplicity and the splay values, which is only partly related to the vray rendering error.
strand_offset01.jpg
As you can see, a part of the strands gets shiftet in X.
I tried with a new scene:
strand_offset2.jpg
As soon as you start combing the strands, the modified strands shift with the splay at root value, strangely only in one direction. Also the length of the strands seems to get modified unwantedly.


Until I find a solutlion to this, I will for the first time not be able to finish a project in SI, since it´s almost impossible to create dense fur without using the strand multiplier.


Achim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Mr renders only a fraction of hairs

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 19 May 2012, 16:04

So I´m the only one experiencing this problem?

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...