ICE noob here with a question, I know it's generally bad style and I could plug an array of 5 vectors into the positions of Add_Point, but why doesn't this graph here generate 5 points as well?
Plugging 5 Add_Points into the main node does that.
Thanks
Add Point & Repeat node
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Add Point & Repeat node
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: Add Point & Repeat node
I don't know why, but this way it works


-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Add Point & Repeat node
Plug a Set Data into the On Creation and do something, anything. Like set self.size = 0.
Then you get more points.
I guess ICE thinks you're not really serious about it otherwise.
Seriously though, I don't know why, but it looks like ICE is being too agressive about optimizing things when Add Point is not in the Simulation stack?
Then you get more points.
I guess ICE thinks you're not really serious about it otherwise.
Seriously though, I don't know why, but it looks like ICE is being too agressive about optimizing things when Add Point is not in the Simulation stack?
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Add Point & Repeat node
First steps to ICE's self awareness?
Cheers mates, both methods work great, so it's an optimization thing.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: Add Point & Repeat node
xsisupport wrote:ICE thinks you're not really serious
-
Leo
- Posts: 128
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 15:06
Re: Add Point & Repeat node
Wait until you get to the cache on file node. That's an overly zealous little beast...
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: Add Point & Repeat node
What is going on?rray wrote:First steps to ICE's self awareness?
I thought this was pretty funny, but w//Hh' a only trie~ a$3!33 ###*() ICE tr]\,%%377then ###---
#&&§.''*&

-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: Add Point & Repeat node
I used to be an ICE user like you, but then I took a context mismatch in a tree
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: Add Point & Repeat node
RRay
If you think you had a problem with this one, how about repeat nodes on two arrays of 1.03 million indices each. Talk about stress test on your system and I am not finished! Time to optimize and think outside the box before I lose track of things!
Seriously, ICE is fun, welcome to the group and please share your adventure, there are always new ways to hook those little nodes! Warning, it is addictive!
If you think you had a problem with this one, how about repeat nodes on two arrays of 1.03 million indices each. Talk about stress test on your system and I am not finished! Time to optimize and think outside the box before I lose track of things!
Seriously, ICE is fun, welcome to the group and please share your adventure, there are always new ways to hook those little nodes! Warning, it is addictive!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
grahamef
- Posts: 281
- Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 19:01
Re: Add Point & Repeat node
It looks like an over-optimization but I don't think it has to do with Add Point not being in the Simulation stack. I suspect it has to do with ICE thinking that nothing is changing in that branch because there's no Set Data. Add, Clone, Delete Point, etc., should be treated the same as Set Data in that case.xsisupport wrote:Plug a Set Data into the On Creation and do something, anything. Like set self.size = 0.
Then you get more points.
I guess ICE thinks you're not really serious about it otherwise.
Seriously though, I don't know why, but it looks like ICE is being too agressive about optimizing things when Add Point is not in the Simulation stack?
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Add Point & Repeat node
Skynet lol
Daniel - Cheers for the welcome! TBH I've dived into ICE before but always go back to being a noob after a while of having to do regular programming. I guess they don't mix well
For example right now I'm not able to find a way to convert an array like
1 2 1 5 8 7
to
1 3 4 9 17 24 (sums of the array item and all items to its left)
without using a repeat loop and a temporary attribute... somehow feels wrong by ICE philosophy but maybe there's no other way. Would be curious of course if someone knew
Daniel - Cheers for the welcome! TBH I've dived into ICE before but always go back to being a noob after a while of having to do regular programming. I guess they don't mix well
For example right now I'm not able to find a way to convert an array like
1 2 1 5 8 7
to
1 3 4 9 17 24 (sums of the array item and all items to its left)
without using a repeat loop and a temporary attribute... somehow feels wrong by ICE philosophy but maybe there's no other way. Would be curious of course if someone knew
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Add Point & Repeat node
Write a custom node to do it, then you can have both ICE and regular programmingrray wrote:Skynet lol![]()
Daniel - Cheers for the welcome! TBH I've dived into ICE before but always go back to being a noob after a while of having to do regular programming. I guess they don't mix well
For example right now I'm not able to find a way to convert an array like
1 2 1 5 8 7
to
1 3 4 9 17 24 (sums of the array item and all items to its left)
without using a repeat loop and a temporary attribute... somehow feels wrong by ICE philosophy but maybe there's no other way. Would be curious of course if someone knew
You'll have to use the Repeat, unless you do something like a point cloud where each point holds a value, so you can use the data set...see here.