General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Post
by Nizar » 01 Apr 2012, 17:33
I well know it was just debated topic, but now, with the new HQV (and my necessity of new VGA

), I think we can discussing about.
Actually I have a GTX460 1gb, have not particular issue with, can say is a good card. But want upgrade, and I'm pretty undecided...
A new GTX580 (wait the new one with 4 gb on board) or a Quadro 4000 with 2 gb ram on board? Are practically the some price tag (780 euro for quadro 4000).
Any advice is well accepted

-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 02 Apr 2012, 18:28
Safest advice at the moment, I'm afraid, is to wait a little while until you can test the new HQV yourself and figure out the usefulness of your current graphics card with it a little better... Once Softimage 2013 "hits the shelves", so to speak, a lot more info about the kind of graphics cards needed to comfortably use this new feature will no doubt become available. Personally. however, I think Autodesk could be more forthcoming with the Certified Hardware list for this new version and this new feature in particular as now is the time when people might consider buying new hardware, but my little thread
Certified Hardware SI2013 list: when? has not yet gotten any response...
;)
PS I am NOT touching the Geforce versus Quadro debate!

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Post
by Nizar » 02 Apr 2012, 18:45
ops... didn't see your topic... close or cancel this. continue the discussion in you topic.
in any case agree, when will arrive when si 2013 we will see
Last edited by Nizar on 02 Apr 2012, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 02 Apr 2012, 18:48
No, don't get me wrong, I didn't mention my thread to point it out to you in my typical Moderator fashion,
I think both threads are valid in their own right (especially since the Certified Hardware list
will probably be quite vague when it comes to such specific features as the HQV).
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Post
by Nizar » 02 Apr 2012, 19:07
No, don't get me wrong, I didn't mention my thread to point it out to you in my typical Moderator fashion,
Don't worry, I fear Hirazi only when didn't use url tag
But I think we talk about the some thing, so, is sensate using only one topic.
Didn't you brought a quadro 2000? How do you think about?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 02 Apr 2012, 19:10
Well, at last minute I "ran into" some extra cash and bought myself a Quadro 4000 and it works splendidly. I don't know if it was a wise choice, but it's the one I'll have to stick with for quite some time... So I can't really recommend it or anything, sadly, especially as I have nothing to compare it with (except for the card I had before that, a Quadro FX 3700, which it outshines IMHO).
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Post
by McNistor » 15 Apr 2012, 09:46
I'm looking for an upgrade and I was browsing for info when I stumbled upon this:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... 64417&st=0
So it's official. Excerpt from that thread:
The following answer I received a few months ago from James Wang, a technical marketing analyst from NVIDIA:
Q: In the GeForce family, double-precision throughput has been reduced to 25% of the full design. Was this decision made to discourage the use of these products for professional use (where Quadro and Tesla are targeted?) Considering the fused support of single- and double-precision calculations in the CUDA cores, how was this change even applied?
A: Yes, full-speed double precision performance is a feature we reserve for our professional customers. Consumer applications have little use for double precision, so this does not really affect GeForce users. Having differentiated features and pricing is actually fairer for all. Given the option of enabling all professional features on GeForce and having gamers pay for them, or disabling them on GeForce and offering a more compelling price, we feel the latter is the better choice.
Regarding the second part of the question, the architecture is designed to support this kind of configuration.
This is a classic example of the nasty practice "we create the problem, we give you the solution".
Going to do some research on AMD cards. I may end up buying a pro one (Fire) if no Radeon is suited and Nvidia is not going to see a penny from me any time soon.
I think it's the better choice for me, Mr. James Wang!
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-
mattmos
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59
Post
by mattmos » 15 Apr 2012, 10:36
That's it for me too - nvidia are operating like there aren't any alternatives. I bought a quadro 4000 from ebay and they run really hot, how can you call a card professional and not provide a reasonable cooling solution?!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Post
by Hirazi Blue » 15 Apr 2012, 10:59
Good to know, that it's official and they at least admit to it (even if the news itself is bad).
This at least (somewhat artificially) answers the forever ongoing Geforce vs Quadro question...
(And the answer is AMD/ATI?)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Post
by Nizar » 15 Apr 2012, 11:17
If HQV now, and in future development, permit the use of AMD card, I should buy a radeon 7990
I read differents posts in softimage mailing list about the good ATI 7990 performance. My only issue is cuda accelerated application, like 3dcoat or Octane. Don't use this software, but seems the professional side of the market is nvidia property and in a near feature I don't want preclude any application
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Post
by McNistor » 15 Apr 2012, 11:21
I really don't know, but I'll find out soon.
All the chip manufacturers do this dishonest crap, but Nvidia pisses me off for a long time now so my decision is not purely objective. I'll try the other side and see which is the lesser "evil". It has come to this apparently.
Edit:
Also check this:
http://forums.developer.nvidia.com/devf ... 590-gtx/p1
Scroll to bottom if you don't want to read from the beginning and see the last post from a Nvidia guy.
He might just as well said "buy us the expensive cards and shut up".
They're free to do whatever from a legal stand point, but from an ethical one...
The difference between two products, a cheap one and an expensive one, should be made by added features/performance on the expensive one not from crippling the -artificially made- cheaper one.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides