box or download?

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

box or download?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Mar 2012, 19:26

I just received a mail from Autodesk stating:
Starting in March 2012, software download will replace CDs and DVDs as the default method of delivering software upgrades to Autodesk® Subscription customers. Software download gives Subscription customers immediate access to the latest Autodesk® software. It is more convenient and more sustainable than installing upgrades from a CD or DVD
This is perfectly clear, the same thing happened last year IIRC.
The benefits of downloads are listed also:
As an Autodesk Subscription customer, you benefit from software download in several ways (of which I'll quote only one):
(...)
▪ If anything ever happens to your computer, you always have an online backup that is available 24/7 wherever there is an Internet connection.
(...)
Now my question is - as this is explicitly listed as a benefit of downloading - does switching back again from download to box (as I had it in the past) mean, I won't be able to download the software through the subscription center anymore? Am I missing out on the possibility to get a backup from the subscription center then? Or does nothing else change (but the initial delivery method) and am I just reading too much into this?
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: box or download?

Post by xsisupport » 19 Mar 2012, 20:21

You can always download from the Subscription Center, as long as you are on Subscription.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: box or download?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Mar 2012, 20:22

Thanks, Stephen! :ymhug:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!