Generate custom sample set

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Generate custom sample set

Post by Pancho » 17 Mar 2012, 09:37

I'm a bit lost here.

While the "Generate Sample Set" node only emits once (if you set it up like this) I seem to miss the point of how I'm able to do this with the "Add point" node by itself.

How do I set up a particle emitter which uses custom input (point location), but emits only once at the start frame and then not any more?

Cheers
Thomas

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Generate custom sample set

Post by EricTRocks » 17 Mar 2012, 10:15

Get a Current Frame node and an if node. Plug the Add Point node into the True port.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Generate custom sample set

Post by Pancho » 17 Mar 2012, 12:20

That's something I tried. But I didn't succeed with frame 0, only with frame one and above. Can't I emit on frame 0 or did I set something up in the wrong way?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Generate custom sample set

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Mar 2012, 12:36

Are you trying this on a simulated ICE Tree? If so, you could try "Execute Once"...
And yes I think emitting in a simulated tree normally starts at frame 1, but I'm not 100% sure.

edit: from the docs...
Note that ICE particles are actually emitted only starting the second frame of the simulation frame range.
(Quoted from here)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Generate custom sample set

Post by EricTRocks » 17 Mar 2012, 12:47

Frame calculations start on the first frame it can calculate stuff for which is not frame 0. If you want frame 0 then you need to set your simulation environment to start at -1.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Generate custom sample set

Post by Pancho » 17 Mar 2012, 12:59

Thanks guys!!!

Yes, simulated ice tree.

User avatar
Mr.Core
Posts: 148
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 10:35
Skype: giga-core
Location: Kharkov, Ukraine

Re: Generate custom sample set

Post by Mr.Core » 17 Mar 2012, 13:31

Build a simple trigger. By default all custom attributes inits with 0 ( identity in case of matrices ), so you can use it and execute anything independently of your first frame value
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Generate custom sample set

Post by EricTRocks » 18 Mar 2012, 00:22

Great tip!
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: Generate custom sample set

Post by iamVFX » 18 Mar 2012, 13:33

As an option
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Generate custom sample set

Post by Pancho » 18 Mar 2012, 13:39

Very cool!