ICE Attributes & Passes

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

ICE Attributes & Passes

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Aug 2009, 09:45

Today I wanted to render a scene with two passes: an ordinary pass containing particles and a second pass for just the (same) particles and utilizing an ICE attribute to drive the intensity of a constant shader to use as info for compositing.
When I tried to create an override on the original material I found I didn't have access to the ICE Attributes generated by my ICE Tree anymore and when I tried a Boolean Switch to incorporate my constant shader branch in the original shader, to override merely the switch, I found I lost my ICE attribute also... (i.e. the ICE attribute I needed didn't appear in the drop-down list of my attribute shader node anymore...)

What am I doing wrong here? :-?
(Please be gentle :ympray: , still an ICE and Passes newbie I'm afraid)
;)

And to that annoying moderator (Hirazi Blue!!! :D ) who keeps moving threads: I found this one tough to place as it involves ICE, Passes, The Render Tree and the future intention to use it all in the FX Tree. I decided to post this in "Rendering" as it has been the Render Tree where the ICE Attributes went missing...And we don't want this community to be only about ICE, now don't we??? %-(
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Tekano
Posts: 488
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
Location: London, UK

Re: ICE Attributes & Passes

Post by Tekano » 21 Aug 2009, 15:30

Yes, ICE does not work with passes just yet. normally in these kind of situations I have a live simulated point cloud 'master' which is then cached with Animate>Tools>Plot>Write geometry cache then any different passes can have their own associated cached point clouds with different particles / materials on each

hth
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: ICE Attributes & Passes

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Aug 2009, 19:08

Thanks! :-bd
Not quite the answer I was hoping for,
but if ICE and Passes cannot play nice together yet,
I guess I'll have to wait for Smith Micro's Softimage 2345... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!