I want to come up with some basic strand fur. So I want to have a guide strand point cloud and a fur strand point cloud.
I managed to comb my guide strands in the manner I want to.
Now I want to create the "render" fur in the other point cloud by emitting particles and then check for the closest point in the guide cloud.
With a get closest points node I manage to determine the (get) PointPosition of the closest guide strands, but if I use a (get) strandPosition node, everything turns red, even the closest point node.
I thought strand position is per point?!
If I use a direct referece to my guide strand point cloud and plug it into the (get) strand position node, then I get the strand positions for the whole point cloud, but not for the ones I need (the closest to fur strand points/roots).
What the best/fastest way to grow strands in the second cloud with the interpolated strandPositions of the guide cloud?
Cheers
Thomas
Can't access strandPosition
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Can't access strandPosition
To demonstrate what I would like to achieve:
I can easily access the point position of the closest points, also their ID. I also can get the average of the point position (and their colors), but I can't get the strandPosition.
Why not?
How am I supposed to build an average strand position which I can then use to build strands in the fur Stranbd Point Cloud???
Cheers
Thomas
I can easily access the point position of the closest points, also their ID. I also can get the average of the point position (and their colors), but I can't get the strandPosition.
Why not?
How am I supposed to build an average strand position which I can then use to build strands in the fur Stranbd Point Cloud???
Cheers
Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Can't access strandPosition
P.S.: If I connect the points to point positions, the get point position node will turn blue and will work.
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Can't access strandPosition
you have a *two* arrays here, array of location through 'Get Closest Points', through each member of this array you can finally get a strand array. Put 'select in array' just after 'Get Closest Points', then go with Get>Strand Position.
Btw if you don't want to re-invent the wheel, you can take look at factory 'hair filler', it has everything you described.
Regarding your 'disconnect solution' from your previous topic, one day if, maybe, you'll find it not-so-useful
, public forum is waiting 
Btw if you don't want to re-invent the wheel, you can take look at factory 'hair filler', it has everything you described.
Regarding your 'disconnect solution' from your previous topic, one day if, maybe, you'll find it not-so-useful
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Can't access strandPosition
Thanks so far! Still need to try it out. Taking a closer look at your hair system currently. As I need "intelligent" guide strands, I'm currently developing a hair growth system which detects corners and follows the combing direction.