Random crashes with MR (big surprise). Any tips?

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Random crashes with MR (big surprise). Any tips?

Post by ActionArt » 01 Feb 2012, 22:05

I'm doing a fairly basic industrial animation using MR. I've had a significant number of seemingly random crashes. This happens on two different machines (one Win7 64bit, one Vista 64bit). I'm using 2012 SAP.

If I work for a while, then render, it will render a random number of frames and crash. Then, if I re-start the project (either from the beginning or from the crash point) it will go just fine indefinitely. However, if I stop and do some work and then start rendering again, it will do that same thing at some unpredictable point (15 -300 frames in).

It never seems to happen when I render single still images. It's nowhere near running out of ram.

I've tried every setting I can think of with no effect. The error message is "Unhandled Exception" which doesn't mean much to me. I know this is probably par for the course with MR but if anyone has any tips that might avoid this, it would be much appreciated.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Random crashes with MR (big surprise). Any tips?

Post by Mathaeus » 01 Feb 2012, 23:31

I think there is a chance you'll solve this by forcing MR to render in chunks of about 10 frames, or even every frame. In this way, MR cache is released, for each chunk MR gets a "clean" data. Method was well known in times of XSI 5 or 6. So you'll render a sequence of stills, literally.
For "every frame" render there is a small nice script at the end of [url=hhttp://www.mootzoid.com/wb/pages/documentation.php]PDF docs of EmPolygonizer 1[/url]. Hope Eric Mootz wouldn't mind my 'abusing' of his docs....

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Random crashes with MR (big surprise). Any tips?

Post by ActionArt » 02 Feb 2012, 00:30

Thank you very much, I'll give it a try.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Random crashes with MR (big surprise). Any tips?

Post by ActionArt » 02 Feb 2012, 00:59

Ignore this post - testing

User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Re: Random crashes with MR (big surprise). Any tips?

Post by mattmos » 02 Feb 2012, 01:30

Could try unchecking "On-Disk Framebuffers" in the Frambuffer tab of the render options - might help?

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Random crashes with MR (big surprise). Any tips?

Post by ActionArt » 02 Feb 2012, 01:40

I tried that but no effect. So far, rendering individual frames is working but a lot slower so not a perfect solution.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Random crashes with MR (big surprise). Any tips?

Post by ActionArt » 08 Feb 2012, 16:25

Just in case anyone else is having this problem, the solution for me was to to Enable "Convert Textures to Memory Maps" in the global render settings. Not sure why as there is lots of ram left when rendering but this cured it in this case.