I just love it [selecting near points]
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
I just love it [selecting near points]
When a S/W company, Autodesk in this case, changes something for no good reason. Don't you?
In 2012.5 when you click on two points occupying exactly the space/same coords, it only selects one of them. Now you have to drag a rectangle to select them both. If I'd want just one of them, I'd enter in raycast or rectangle-raycast mode (F10 and shift+F10 respectively).
Was it requested or what was the reason behind this?
Not a deal breaker, but pretty annoying IMO...
In 2012.5 when you click on two points occupying exactly the space/same coords, it only selects one of them. Now you have to drag a rectangle to select them both. If I'd want just one of them, I'd enter in raycast or rectangle-raycast mode (F10 and shift+F10 respectively).
Was it requested or what was the reason behind this?
Not a deal breaker, but pretty annoying IMO...
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: I just love it [selecting near points]
Its always been like that for me. I don't mind that at all since usually single clicking on other components only selects 1.
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: I just love it [selecting near points]
It can't have always been like that for you. Probably you didn't pay attention.
If there is no setting to change that, it must had been the same for everyone.
If there is no setting to change that, it must had been the same for everyone.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
danyargici
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 09 Nov 2009, 09:58
Re: I just love it [selecting near points]
I noticed this too the other day... Not ideal IMO.
I'm a "Single Select Object in Region" and "Extended Component Selection" man myself. You?
I'm a "Single Select Object in Region" and "Extended Component Selection" man myself. You?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: I just love it [selecting near points]
I probably misunderstand your question, but I'm with EricTRocks on this one, this has always been this way AFAIK...
P.S. Moved and renamed this thread (please use descriptive titles where possible).
P.S. Moved and renamed this thread (please use descriptive titles where possible).
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
danyargici
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 09 Nov 2009, 09:58
Re: I just love it [selecting near points]
It really hasn't. That's I why I mentioned that I use "Single Select Object in Region" and "Extended Component Selection".
Most probably you guys use a different selection method and thus haven't been affected.
Most probably you guys use a different selection method and thus haven't been affected.
-
danyargici
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 09 Nov 2009, 09:58
Re: I just love it [selecting near points]
OK, sorry guys, you're quite right it has always been like that.
I was reading the post upside-down. I noticed the exact opposite behavior change!
I was reading the post upside-down. I noticed the exact opposite behavior change!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: I just love it [selecting near points]
Wouldn't ever have noticed probably but there's a difference when clicking on a point while in rectangle selection mode (not dragging).
It used to behave like a "mini" rectangle selection, now it's a raycast, selecting one (more or less random) point of the two.
Don't know yet which way I would prefer
It used to behave like a "mini" rectangle selection, now it's a raycast, selecting one (more or less random) point of the two.
Don't know yet which way I would prefer
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: I just love it [selecting near points]
OK, for the guys that say that it's always been like that:
(you need to have SP1 or older installed too)
- make a polyCone leave the default settings, select the top point and disconnect it
- click to select (simple click, not click&drag). if you have activated "show selection info" (Shift+S -> Stats) you'll see 1 (one) point selected
- now do all these steps in SP1 or older. you'll see 8 points.
Now there shouldn't be any misunderstandings left.
edit: the change occurred in 2012 SAP (aka 2012.5)
(you need to have SP1 or older installed too)
- make a polyCone leave the default settings, select the top point and disconnect it
- click to select (simple click, not click&drag). if you have activated "show selection info" (Shift+S -> Stats) you'll see 1 (one) point selected
- now do all these steps in SP1 or older. you'll see 8 points.
Now there shouldn't be any misunderstandings left.
edit: the change occurred in 2012 SAP (aka 2012.5)
Last edited by McNistor on 30 Jan 2012, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: I just love it [selecting near points]
Yes you're right. I believe they made changes to the selection tools in 2012 SAP which may have also changed this behavior.
In what case would you have points on top of each other that shouldn't be merged? I guess I just don't understand why this is an issue or why you would want this behavior. Can you please explain?
In what case would you have points on top of each other that shouldn't be merged? I guess I just don't understand why this is an issue or why you would want this behavior. Can you please explain?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: I just love it [selecting near points]
Duly noted...Hirazi Blue wrote:I probably misunderstand your question
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: I just love it [selecting near points]
EricTRocks wrote:Yes you're right. I believe they made changes to the selection tools in 2012 SAP which may have also changed this behavior.
In what case would you have points on top of each other that shouldn't be merged? I guess I just don't understand why this is an issue or why you would want this behavior. Can you please explain?
Pretty hard to explain... I model a lot of complex (mechanical) stuff and merging, splitting/disconnecting edges, re-welding is constantly used.
As I said, it's not a big deal, but why did they changed that is beyond me. Probably an unintended "feature"?!
If "not big deals" are introduced all the time, a product becomes something else overtime and chances are that if the product was already good, it will probably turn into something less so.
No problem man. Now that you know of it what do think? Probably not much since you didn't even notice it.Hirazi Blue wrote:I probably misunderstand your question
Duly noted...
edit: please delete the above double post
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides