Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

New plugins, tools etc.
User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Jan 2012, 22:05

This just in, via xsisupport's twitter account:
Beginning January 1, 2012, Autodesk will have formally ceased support of the Microsoft Windows Vista Operating System for all new (and upgraded versions) of its products and services released in 2012.
(Quoted from here)

edit: added the correct "Quoted from here" link
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by EricTRocks » 23 Jan 2012, 22:13

Personally not sure why someone would be on Vista still anyway. Win7 is solid.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by ActionArt » 23 Jan 2012, 22:22

Son of a @#$!$%#^!!

I hate Win7. I have one box at work on Win 7 and one at home on Vista and with SI and Photoshop Vista performs significantly better. Also, I really really really hate the taskbar in Win7, it's like a virus that you can't get rid of....

Leo
Posts: 128
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 15:06

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by Leo » 23 Jan 2012, 23:59

I have to disagree, Windows 7 is the best and most stable OS I've ever had.

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by EricTRocks » 24 Jan 2012, 01:09

@ActionArt: are you using a MacPro with bootcamp and Vista or is it a PC?

Using Vista on an Dell at my last job was bad. All kinds of little UI bugs and hangs..
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

User avatar
Inisheer
Posts: 19
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 04:31
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by Inisheer » 24 Jan 2012, 01:12

I have to use Vista on a laptop at work and it drives me absolutely crazy. I have had zero issues with Softimage on my Win7 home machine.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by ActionArt » 24 Jan 2012, 02:15

EricTRocks wrote: wrote: @ActionArt: are you using a MacPro with bootcamp and Vista or is it a PC?

Using Vista on an Dell at my last job was bad. All kinds of little UI bugs and hangs..

Just a PC. I have 2 identical boxes, both with solid state system drives and 8GB ram. One with Win7 and one with Vista. Vista loads SI and Photoshop about 5 times faster, viewport response is better and no UI bugs for me. Vista needs a ton of ram but when it does have that, it flies.

At work I have to use an Avid editor and the god damn taskbar is IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of. Makes me want to beat MS programmers with a shovel. It interferes with the Avid interface (and SI to some degree). I've tried every trick I can find online but nothing will get rid of the damn thing. Taskbar assasin (or whatever it's called) works for a while and then it's back! Just like a virus! Can you tell I really hate it :)

Anyway, I guess I'm in the minority...

PS if anyone has a way to kill this damn thing once and for all please do tell! :(

Zafar Iqbal
Moderator
Posts: 169
Joined: 26 Oct 2009, 09:04

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by Zafar Iqbal » 24 Jan 2012, 05:18

ActionArt wrote: At work I have to use an Avid editor and the god damn taskbar is IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of. Makes me want to beat MS programmers with a shovel.
Agreed. I'll hold them and you beat them.
ActionArt wrote: It interferes with the Avid interface (and SI to some degree). I've tried every trick I can find online but nothing will get rid of the damn thing. Taskbar assasin (or whatever it's called) works for a while and then it's back! Just like a virus!
Indeed. It's surprising no one @ MS thought the always present task bar might annoy someone.

There used to be a neat hack, probably the one you are refering to as well, but it's became outdated outdated and no updates were made. I find this to be the next best thing: http://www.sevenforums.com/1426668-post137.html
- Zafar Iqbal

User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by mattmos » 24 Jan 2012, 11:07

Maybe I'm missing something but the autohide taskbar option doesn't work for you?

Zafar Iqbal
Moderator
Posts: 169
Joined: 26 Oct 2009, 09:04

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by Zafar Iqbal » 24 Jan 2012, 13:17

mattmos wrote:Maybe I'm missing something but the autohide taskbar option doesn't work for you?
It's not the same and I've never ever liked auto-hide in any version of Windows.
- Zafar Iqbal

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by ActionArt » 24 Jan 2012, 13:26

Thanks Zafar, I'll give that a try.

Autohide is the worst. On Avid it's about 1 pixel between the bottom buttons and having the taskbar pop up. You can imagine the fun.

Vista is a horrible OS for laptops but for workstations, I personally like it way better. Of course not everyone will agree but I think it's a little premature for AD to drop it. I could see when Win8 comes out but not yet.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Jan 2012, 19:40

Personally I would be bothered more with the way Autodesk apparently communicated this (without even an early warning), but frankly, I can't be bothered any more...
:-*
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by xsisupport » 24 Jan 2012, 20:00

Hirazi Blue wrote:Personally I would be bothered more with the way Autodesk apparently communicated this (without even an early warning), but frankly, I can't be bothered any more...
:-*
But this is an early warning. It basically applies to the next major release, not to 2012 or 2012AP.
I don't think there's anything else coming out between now and the next major release.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Jan 2012, 20:11

Maybe it would have been best if I had used the phrase "earlier warning".
(-|
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by luceric » 25 Jan 2012, 12:43

what's funny is that they still support XP. it's a weird decision but they have the number to back it up. there is a higher pecentage of vista among xsi users, though. the few people who ran it are leaving vista in droves and it will be all stamped out within two years, which means two fewer os to tet the apps on. adobe also dropped support for vista. I'm sure all apps will continue to work just fine, they just aren't going to be tested on vista.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Autodesk ending support for Windows Vista in 2012

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Jan 2012, 10:52

Here's a friendly suggestion...
Mention the new policy on the Softimage System Requirements page,
as a courtesy to potential future customers, planning to buy Softimage (2013) in the near future
and who do not yet follow the forum banter (or xsisupport's twitter account).
Again: just a friendly suggestion, nothing more... :-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!