Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
I've had a lot of crashes when working with texture projections and then using the render region tool (with MR). Has anyone else notice this?
Not much info, Windows has this to say:
The program XSI.exe version 10.5.2011.909 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 414
Start Time: 01ccd48680aa69b5
Termination Time: 154
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2012.SAP\Application\bin\XSI.exe
Report Id: 606353e7-4088-11e1-b6e6-967931658455
Wondering if it's just me or maybe some plugin causing it. Any thoughts? I don't remember having this much a few months ago.
Not much info, Windows has this to say:
The program XSI.exe version 10.5.2011.909 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 414
Start Time: 01ccd48680aa69b5
Termination Time: 154
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2012.SAP\Application\bin\XSI.exe
Report Id: 606353e7-4088-11e1-b6e6-967931658455
Wondering if it's just me or maybe some plugin causing it. Any thoughts? I don't remember having this much a few months ago.
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
Do you get a chance to send a CER ?
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
No, it just freezes and doesn't give me a chance to send a report.
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
Check if you still crash with the default settings and no plugins.
Rename your user folder, start Softimage again, and see if you can repro the crash.
Rename your user folder, start Softimage again, and see if you can repro the crash.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
@ActionArt - Was this - by chance - also related to the Architectural Material? I've had several crashes with the Render Region and specifically that shader (and "none" of the others) a few weeks ago, which I seem to have fixed by reinstalling Softimage completely.
So no real help from me, but I would like to know... ;)
So no real help from me, but I would like to know... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
Yes indeed. Architectural and Carpaint. Thanks for the tips. I'm on the last stages of a project right that has to be finished now so I'll have to experiment a bit later when it's done.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
Hirazi, did you happen to have the Mia_Material_Advanced addon installed at the time? It's just a long shot in the dark. I'm not actually using that material right now but just wondered if it might have replaced a file or had an effect somehow.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
I don't know for certain if I had it installed at the time, but I was not using it for sure. My crashes happened even in the following simple scenario: create sphere, add an Architectural Material, create a Render Region, crash. After reinstalling I didn't reinstall each and every addon I had originally loaded, so I cannot say for certain, what caused it. At the time I was just happy, that it seemed fixed after reinstall...
;)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
Hmmm...mine isn't that predictable. It only happens 3 or 4 times a day when I'm using it a lot. Hard to reproduce quickly when you want to.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
I did this but still get this problem.xsisupport wrote:Check if you still crash with the default settings and no plugins.
Rename your user folder, start Softimage again, and see if you can repro the crash.
This is what causes it most often: Adjust a texture support and then use the render region tool. It doesn't crash every time but often. It usually does this after I've been working for a while. If I try it right away it usually doesn't crash.
That'll be a tough one to track down I suppose.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
A long-shot, especially since xsisupport hasn't mentioned it yet:
Troubleshooting 101 : runonce.bat
Troubleshooting 101 : runonce.bat
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Recently, a lot of crashes with render region tool...
It seems I'm the only one with this problem but just in case I'm not, I think I found the solution...
I had to force off "Threaded optimization" in the Nvidia driver panel. I thought of it because our Avid systems give trouble with this on. Seems like a buggy feature that gives insignificant performance gains. If in doubt, turn it off
So far, so good....
I had to force off "Threaded optimization" in the Nvidia driver panel. I thought of it because our Avid systems give trouble with this on. Seems like a buggy feature that gives insignificant performance gains. If in doubt, turn it off
So far, so good....