The Lytro lightfield camera -> the next big thing in VFX

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
curly
Posts: 77
Joined: 06 Oct 2010, 06:43

The Lytro lightfield camera -> the next big thing in VFX

Post by curly » 15 Jan 2012, 07:42

Hi,

I saw this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE8DKM-B0Eo

Imagine what you can do with this type of camera if your are compositing in Nuke. Imagine what it could become if they implement it on a Canon5D DSLR. Imagine what it could mean for rotoscoping when you're shooting for a VFX shot. To me this is the next big thing in VFX. I hope Adobe, The Foundry and Canon and Sony are implementing this technology soon. For me this means a whole lot more then all the stereo 3D stuff. It could enable you to shoot a clean plate, blur it extract image elements from it. I hope some smart guy is going to allow us to shoot 24fps or 30fps image sequences. This technology can become a dream for every compositor out there.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: The Lytro lightfield camera -> the next big thing in VFX

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Jan 2012, 19:00

I saw a similar video a couple of months ago and my personal feeling was somewhere between "wow, that seems awesome" and "wait, there must be a catch". And that's a dilemma I probably won't be able to resolve unless I go out and buy such a camera (which I sadly can't for lack of funds). I was under the impression this technique was mainly usable for stills ATM not yet for moving pictures, but that might just be my ignorance.
Would be interesting to find out if anything is being done with this camera in professional VFX already. But somehow I doubt it (which doesn't mean that it may just as well prove "the way forward", so to speak).
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: The Lytro lightfield camera -> the next big thing in VFX

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 17 Jan 2012, 12:03

Video with Z-channel.... Matte without greenscreen... :ympray:
I'm now part of an endangered species...